Double socket off a 13a fused switch?

Sponsored Links
Regarding 13A plugs. I expect they get fitted as our regulations state a 13a plug must be fitted. So it’s far easier to get approval

The instructions may say, it maybe cut off and hard wired in using Mcb of value Xx. ???

There is a much simpler way:

CLICK
Good god, an electrician that can't do ohms law calculations. I must say that from most if your posts you are one of the last I'd have imagined that can't do simple sums.
The moment I can't simple sums like Ohms law in my head is the day I hang up my screwdriver.

Good god, an electrician that can't do ohms law calculations. I must say that from most if your posts you are one of the last I'd have imagined that can't do simple sums.
The moment I can't simple sums like Ohms law in my head is the day I hang up my screwdriver.
Hang on, How is it easier to go on line than to use a calculator? Do you not know what apps are?

Sponsored Links
There is a much simpler way:

CLICK
I've just tried to use this and it was more steps than using a calculator and less accurate. Probably fine for most domestic electrics calculations but rounding up or down at every stage then having to retype the rounded figure into another box for multiple stages of calculation is not for me.

For goodness sake SUNRAY your comments are getting sillier by the post.

Being good at maths does not prevent people using a calculator.
Sorry, I had assumed you were on line when you posted.

You did this in your head, did you?
"R=V²/W, 220²/3000=16.133Ω then I=V/R, 242/16.133=15A"

I've just tried to use this and it was more steps than using a calculator
Not really. It gives more results, more easily.

and less accurate.
?

Probably fine for most domestic electrics calculations
That was what you were doing.

but rounding up or down at every stage then having to retype the rounded figure into another box for multiple stages of calculation is not for me.
Suit yourself.

Being good at maths does not prevent people using a calculator.
Sorry, I had assumed you were on line when you posted.

You did this in your head, did you?
"R=V²/W, 220²/3000=16.133Ω then I=V/R, 242/16.133=15A"

Yes I did use a calculator for these calculations. And yes I was on line when I posted but not when I had my head down the back of a washing machine.
But 220² is easy, going back to my schooldays times table thats 11²x4 plus a couple of zeros or 11 11's are 121, x4 = 484 +00 then /3000 comes down to 484/3 well back to times tables 48/3 =16 and 4/3 = 1 1/3 or 1333333333333333333333 (how many decimal places are required here?)

Until then it's very basic times tables junior school stuff, 242/16.133 is a bit harder but a first approximation of 240/16 or 30/2 or 15 is a good starting point. again it's just basic junior school times table stuff.

Silly or not I'd have got to that quicker than firing up the internet, typing in the first set of numbers then retyping the result and the new voltage.

Yes I know my basic number crunching skills are good as they have been honed over the years in my day work and my hobbies. I wouldn't expect the same to be true for all but I do expect electricians to know the Ohms law triangle and power triangle without having to think about them without having to resort to the internet.

Last edited:
And he's started arguing with himself:

Hang on, How is it easier to go on line than to use a calculator? Do you not know what apps are?

Probably fine for most domestic electrics calculations but rounding up or down at every stage then having to retype the rounded figure into another box for multiple stages of calculation is not for me.

As I've mentioned earlier, it would not occur to me to install a 2.5mm radial using a 32A OCD
Maybe not, but it is perfectly compliant if the nature of the load is such that overloads cannot occur.

Yes I did use a calculator for these calculations.
Ah.

And yes I was on line when I posted but not when I had my head down the back of a washing machine.
It's all becoming clearer.

But 220² is easy, going back to my schooldays times table thats 11²x4 plus a couple of zeros or 11 11's are 121, x4 = 484 +00 then /3000 comes down to 484/3 well back to times tables 48/3 =16 and 4/3 = 1 1/3 or 1333333333333333333333 (how many decimal places are required here?)

Until then it's very basic times tables junior school stuff, 242/16.133 is a bit harder but a first approximation of 240/16 or 30/2 or 15 is a good starting point. again it's just basic junior school times table stuff.

Silly or not I'd have got to that quicker than firing up the internet, typing in the first set of numbers then retyping the result and the new voltage.
Yes, that all looks very quick.

As to how many decimal places are required - probably one, at least until you verify that the 3kW was at 220V.

Yes I know my basic number crunching skills are good as they have been honed over the years in my day work and my hobbies. I wouldn't expect the same to be true for all but I do expect electricians to know the Ohms law triangle and power triangle without having to think about them without having to resort to the internet.
I shall try to do better and stop making life easier.

And he's started arguing with himself:

No BAS I'm not arguing with myself, perhaps I need to take a leaf out of your book and use more bold or bigger or coloured fonts to emphasise salient points.

Would you use a calculator for a simple sum like 100/5? no? and neither would I. But no I can't do an accurate calculation in my head for a complex calculation, the degree of complexity is different for different people which I totally appreciate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back