Multimeter - Help needed please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Wickes Digital Multimeter, but am having trouble understanding the operators 'manual'!

All I actually want to use it for at the moment, is to test sockets/switches for power before undertaking any work and blowing myself up!

Thought I was being a good girl, by upgrading from the old screwdriver tester! :eek: But now I'm having trouble understanding the bloody thing!

I always turn _everything_ off at mains, but still like the reassurance of testing before getting started! I once accidently touched the (accidently connected) element when replacing it in my immersion boiler. Don't fancy repeating that feeling!! :confused:

The problem I'm having is understand the symbols on the multimeter, and some of the terminology.

As I am not looking to undertake any major electrical work other than replacing switches/sockets etc. I really just need to know how to check for power!

Any help really appreciated.

Can upload a pic if needed.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
... don't understand....

the assumption that I know what the symbols are, or the language used to describe something that I would've thought was a fairly simple process! Laymans terms are what I'm missing! :D

I have enough brain cells to figure out that testing properly is a good idea rather than just relying on turning off power. But apparently not enough to test for it.

Should've stuck to my old screwdriver. At least that (usually) worked ;)

Thank you Ban-all-sheds!

I will have a look at some of those links. Just found a google link to similar situation on Ultimate Handyman (I am allowed to mention that site yes? It's not west side story gang wars or anything is it?), that pretty much covers what I need to know.

Like to get 3rd opinions on things though, so will have a look at those links first too.

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back