multimeter recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking for a decent multimeter for use during plumbing jobs (where electrics get involved - earth continuity, polarity etc etc) - anyone any recommendations?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you know how to use it well enough to measure the current or the resistance in the mains?

If not then Maplins have several good but cheap ones for less than £15.

Unless you are working on electronics and need capacitance and inductance then I would wonder why you would need to spend more.

Tony

Thanks Tony - Good point - Im in training at the mo and just wondered what folks used. looks like maplins will get a visit.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Fluke or Anton stuff for me as well.
Don't buy a cheap they always have very short leads. I have just bought a reasonable Anton with long leads for about £65.

The expensive ones are fine for experienced people!

For trainees who may try to measure the current in the mains then a cheap one is totally adequate and only loses under £15 if they make a silly mistake.

After using the cheap one for a year then the expensive one may be justified.

I often use a cheap pocket meter for boiler repairs because its so much smaller and lighter than the Fluke.

The main advantage I see for the Fluke type is the robustness.

Tony

Agile said:
I often use a cheap pocket meter for boiler repairs because its so much smaller and lighter than the Fluke.
Fluke ® ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back