multimeter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can somebody explain how to use a multimeter ive got a lcd one i want to check circits wwhat test do you have to do and how all reply very much appreciated

Sponsored Links
cant quite follow it breezer can u explain in real terms how to test and reading i should get thankyou
:oops:

read the manual again slowly.

that is how we all learnt, rome was not built built in a day

Sponsored Links
what do u want to test continuity? dont test mains supply with it as u clearly are a novice . ELECTRICITY KILLS.

untill u learn more, stay away from the mains. try the basics on battery supplies (only dif is lower voltage and batteries are DC, not AC)

buckbyspark said:
what do u want to test continuity? dont test mains supply with it as u clearly are a novice . ELECTRICITY KILLS.
yes

Hi again leepy.
This depends on what sort of meter you have got. Almost certainly yours can not measure low enough resistance to properly test circuits, but never mind.

Put it on the most sensitive resistance range it has got.
Touch the probes together firmly and adjust the zero-adjusting-knob so that the meter reads 0 ohms.

connect one probe to each end of the cable you want to check for continuity.

The meter should move from a very high reading when probes just in air, to a very low one when connected to the cable. Make sure you have a good contact either end. You expect a reading around 0-1 ohm.

Most off the shelf meters do not read this low accurately enough, but it will tell you if you have a connection of some sort.

make sure the probes are plugged into the correct sockets on the meter. There may be three or more for different measurements.

If your meter is accurate enough to tell, you should get the same reading between the two ends of the red cables as between the two ends of the black cables. The earth should give a reading about 1/3 more because the wire is thinner. The longer the wire, the higher the reading.

Practice twiddling all the knobs. Do not connect the meter directly across a voltage when it is set to measure amps. Something will go bang.

leepy said:
cant quite follow it breezer can u explain in real terms how to test and reading i should get thankyou
:oops:
Leepy - please understand that this is not meant in any way to be patronising, but do you understand the difference between volts, amps and ohms?

Shouldn't even need a manual, then, at least for the voltage, current and resistance ranges...

just come back from flight in helicopter (am learning to fly one) read this post i have to agree with ban-all-sheds

reason i mentioned helicopter is i only said that doesn't mean its true though does it.

Well i wouldn't know. I spent all day ripping apart bodies with an axe and chainsaw. Bits everywhere.

breezer said:
just come back from flight in helicopter (am learning to fly one) read this post i have to agree with ban-all-sheds

reason i mentioned helicopter is i only said that doesn't mean its true though does it.

Are you learning in a Robinson? Seems to be the most common learner helicopter, cheaper to fly than a turbine-powered one y'see. ;)

ban-all-sheds said:
do you understand the difference between volts, amps and ohms?

"Volts" means jumps, over one of those horse things in gymnastics. Or you can do "Pole-volting", which sometimes involves a double-pole (switch)

"Amps" are what you stick in the boot of your car to drive your "subs". It is also an abbreviation of a small rodent pet, in East London. "I've just got a new Amps (ter)."

"Ohms" is what buddhists chant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back