Multiple Circuits from single MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know its not good practice to have multiple circuits from a MCB but how does this stand with the regs?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
[restart the old debate that will never be resolved]On the other hand you take the definition of circuit and see that if 2 cables come from 1 MCB they are in fact 1 circuit not 2 and therefore 314-01-04 is not contravened.[/restart]

BTW don't be tempted to join rings end to end, it will in all likelyhood create a ring that is badly unbalanced and the total cable length may become an issue too.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the answers

Flameport, thanks for the reg no, I knew I had seen something once

Stargazer, it was a circuit which fed contactors which controlled some emergency lighting, the contactor feed had been fed from a completely different lighting circuit doubled up in the MCB, just wanted to check the regs, so I can slag off the original installer ;)

Many thanks

I think the quide to part p book even shows two lighting circuits bunched on one mcb.
Cannot find book at the moment

How do you know it`s multiple circuits?
If it`s fed from one opd (fuse/Mcb) then it could be one circuit albeit branched , known as a tree.
It is down to what the designer of the circuit(s) allowed.
Having said all that it is far better to seperate circuits indeed there is a reg that states this (314 - 01 - 01) however it uses the word "minimise" - if you follow that strictly then every point would be on it`s own circuit making it just about impossible.
If you do decide to split into more circuits then you must check there are no cross connections such as a "borrowed neutral" which could be dangerous

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back