Multiple consumer units and master switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a requirement for a domestic install to have one master switch for the installation?

If I had a second consumer unit added above the existing one, due to lack of space for anything wider, would it be valid just to have their respective main switches? The second CU would be for RCD circuits, effectively providing a split load arrangement.

I do not have a main isolator at present (any idea what Seeboard's reaction is on being asked to fit one?).

An alternative could be to use one of the RCBs for the second unit, meaning the main CU switch would operate both?

I'm not doing any CU changing myself but I wanted to be sure of what is good practice before prompting the electrician.

Thanks,

James

Sponsored Links
It is good practice to install an isolator for the entire installation.
But this involves removing the main fuse + seals to do it safely.
The regs require that if you have two isolators, as you would have in two CCU's, then there must be labelling to indicate multiple means of isolation

Mk do some stacking kits for their units, one if the units just acts as a busbar extension for the first unit, and you just the the switch in the first one switching everything.

Think FWL has installed some of these, so he might be able to advise further if necessary

EDIT: Found the pic FWL posted: http://img52.imageshack.us/my.php?image=twinboard15sa.jpg

Thanx for that Adam, hadn't seem those before. Neat bit of wiring, City and Guilds?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies.

I had seen the MK stacking kits, which could be a neat solution if not too wide. Although they don't come cheap compared to a single split load box, there is additional cost to me compared to keeping the existing unit for the non RCD side and having one new unit for the RCD.

Furthermore, the relatively new mini-CU from the garden circuit, currently removed from the spur off the ring final circuit, would be good to retain as a third CU to at least avoid garden trips knocking out all the sockets as well.

A main DP isolator seems a good way to go, with the individual CUs fed from a Henley after it.

James

Qedelec said:
Neat bit of wiring, City and Guilds?

Not mine, its FWL's, though when I'm qualified (i'm still trying to find an apprenticeship atm, so a long way to go!) I hope I will be able to do things neatly as well.

How far through you qual's are you?
What part of the country?
Mail me off list.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back