multiple drop ceiling pendant.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm adding a multiple drop ceiling pendant to a hallway. Basically, the electrician(as part of the building team) doesn't want to make 4 log individual drops from the ceiling for me, and he doesn't want to source the multiple drop pendant either. It's a long story but he comes as part of a buiding team and they've already exhausted the budget and only want to do the very basics for us. SO they asked me to supply the pendant and drops and then they'll fit it to the ceiling. The thing is, there are at least 3 and maybe 4 drops to come down, and all at different lengths. And they're unusually long lengths. The longest being about 5.5 metres. I've been finding it really difficult to source something like that here in Ireland. I was wondering about the Ikea 3 drop ceiling pendant.
hemma-triple-cord-set__0246127_PE385257_S4.JPG

If I change the flex cable, using the same grade but dropping it to the lengths I require, would this be safe to use?

Sponsored Links
The Ikea pendants have 1.8metres drop on each, but I'd be looking at extending 2 of them. 1 to 5.5metres and another to about 3.5metres.

You wouldn't trust that to be safe then?

Sponsored Links
Well that's not a ceiling rose with a screw on cap to BS-whatever, so the connections inside must be protected by an enclosure not openable without use of a tool.

Ikea normally give you a hook to screw in to ceiling and then hook on and you pull tight the enclosure to ceiling. **** poor pooh!

Thanks for the replies. Very little weight going on them actually. Very light..... light shades*

*light light. :mrgreen:

I think they'll easily hold the weight, and there will be ceiling hooks to navigate each drop. I know how to wire this stuff and all, but I want to be sure that there isn't any danger in using such long drops. Is there a particular extra procedure required is what I suppose I need to know.

If the flex is gripped within both enclosures and lightweight shade, you should be okay.
The sheath of cable must remain within ceiling enclosure and lampholder

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back