Wiring a strange ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my hallway, I have a set of three spot lights and one pendant lamp. All run off the same set of switches and I can switch them on and off in two places in my hallway (I think this is called a two way switch?). The other day, my pendant lamp went bang and the bulb holder basically fell off of the cable. I have bought a new cable and bulb holder and for various reasons took the ceiling rose off the ceiling. I am now in a mess trying to re-wire it all back together. Basically I have 8 wires coming out of my ceiling (I think from 4 cables); there are 4 red wires and 4 black wires. 3 of the red wires seem to be grouped together and 3 of the black wires seem to be grouped together and the remaining black and red wire seem to be grouped together. The wires all go into one of those little plastic things with screws in which has room for 3 connections on each side. I thought I took note of which wires went where, which was the 3 red into the outside hole, the 3 black into the middle and the black/red combination into the other end hole. On the other side of the plastic thing I have to connect the cable running from the bulb holder. This has a blue and a brown wire. I thought the brown wire went into the hole opposite the brown/red combination from the ceiling and the blue into the middle hole opposite the 3 black wires from the ceiling. Alas, I was clearly wrong and after having tried a few combinations am worried that I may end up electrocuting myself! Can anyone please help???? Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The 3 red wires are the permanent live wires, these should kept separate from the others.
Next you have the 2 neutral wires. The blue wire from the bulb also goes here.
Finally you have a switch wire, usually a black wire with a red sleeve on it to indicate it's not a neutral. But on the other hand, the switch might be a red wire. Anyway, this goes into the connector on the ceiling rose together with the brown wire to the bulb.

You need to identify which is the switch and which are the neutrals.

To do that you may need to purchase a DMM (digital multi meter) and get back to us.

Hi,
Many thanks for the reply. What you have described sounds like what I have. The 3 red wires were twisted together so are clearly the 3 lives. The next 3 blacks were sort of grouped together so must be the 2 (but in my case 3?) neutrals. Lastly I have the two remaining wires, one of which is red and one black (with no red on it). I guess the red must be the switch wire therefore? But what about the final black wire? Into the other side of the connector I had put the blue wire from the bulb opposite the 3 black neutrals and the brown wire from the bulb opposite the single red (I had also put the single remaining black wire from the ceiling in with the red switch wire). The result was that the pendant light came on and stayed and was not affected by any of the light switches....ahhhhh!! Does this tell you anything (apart from I have clearly done something wrong!)??

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back