Music magpie

I wouldn't part with my CDs. Better quality sound than these digital recording things.

May part with some vinyl though. Not getting a lot of use these days, and a bit of a faff compared to CDs.

CDs are digital!

Sponsored Links
He means better than mp3's. Quite right too. Similarly DAB is worse than FM

WS

Think you got it the wrong way round there, matey!

Audiophiles are rejecting CD's and re-embracing vinyl these days. If you do sell your vinyl, make sure you know your prices, as some sell for serious wonga.

Rumours was on sale a bit back in HMV on a vinyl re-release for £30... ;)

WS

Audiophiles are rejecting CD's and re-embracing vinyl these days. If you do sell your vinyl, make sure you know your prices, as some sell for serious wonga.

True. I've kept all my LPs and copied the more important ones on to Minidiscs for general playing. The LPs are kept to one side and not used to preserve their sound, as I've heard that they do eventually wear with regular playing and the sound suffers.

Sponsored Links
we tried music magpie once and wouldn't bother again. can't really overestimate the amount of fafgong round .... the missus had to catalogue them all any ones that didn't recognized barcodes she had to type in the number and package it all up for them. had to chase payment for several weeks too.

don't really see eBay as much more hassle (if at all) and there is a greater yield, even if some CDs won't sell you'll make your money on others.

we tried music magpie once and wouldn't bother again. can't really overestimate the amount of fafgong round .... the missus had to catalogue them all any ones that didn't recognized barcodes she had to type in the number and package it all up for them. had to chase payment for several weeks too.

don't really see eBay as much more hassle (if at all) and there is a greater yield, even if some CDs won't sell you'll make your money on others.

Yeah... wot he said... some of you *may* have noticed I've been in a foul mood for the last few days.... I'll try to become nice again soon.

[
True. I've kept all my LPs and copied the more important ones on to Minidiscs for general playing. The LPs are kept to one side and not used to preserve their sound, as I've heard that they do eventually wear with regular playing and the sound suffers.
eventually is quicker than you realise - you might be amazed at the sound quality of a new old stock LP record :idea: . But an old jukebox can make a knackered 7 inch single sound OK . - and you get to see the mechanism working ;)

I wouldn't part with my CDs. Better quality sound than these digital recording things.

May part with some vinyl though. Not getting a lot of use these days, and a bit of a faff compared to CDs.

CDs are digital!

Yes, but the MP3s operate in a different way to CDs, as MP3s compress the music. Maybe it's this compression or the devices that people play the MP3s through that lowers the quality. Even plugging an MP3 into a proper hi fi doesn't sound as good as a CD through the same system.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
WS

I'm not necessarily anti-vinyl, it's just that CDs are a good trade off between sound quality and convenience.

Also, the roads are so bad these days, that the needle keeps jumping if I'm enjoying some music on the go. ;)

CDs are digital!

Yes, but the MP3s operate in a different way to CDs, as MP3s compress the music. Maybe it's this compression or the devices that people play the MP3s through that lowers the quality. Even plugging an MP3 into a proper hi fi doesn't sound as good as a CD through the same system.

MP3's only use part of the digital audio instead of 100% in a CD. This makes them much smaller but of inferior quality. Thery are known as "lossy" compression formats unlike FLAC, which is lossless and can give you 100% of your audio CD

CDs are digital!

MP3's only use part of the digital audio instead of 100% in a CD. This makes them much smaller but of inferior quality. Thery are known as "lossy" compression formats unlike FLAC, which is lossless and can give you 100% of your audio CD

Yes, that's why Minidiscs are physically smaller than CDs. However, the Minidisc player I have is conveniently small enough to carry around, and the sound quality is acceptably good. My LPs, of course, remain untouched and containing all the detail, should I wish to hear them 'inviolate'!

Sponsored Links
Back