MWC for like for like

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
When doing like for like jobs I was always told (by my old boss) that I had to fill in a MWC to cover myself (He owned a kitchen shop so most of the work was replacing new cookers and ovens) If I had to upgrade circuit of course other certs were done.

But now I'm doing work for another company as well, and they tell me no certs are needed for any like for like jobs big or small.

So was just checking here with you chaps, do you have to fill out MWC for like for like ??

I did drop Elecsa as e-mail but no reply as yet.

Cheers

Lyngarth

Sponsored Links
I fill out an MEWC for simple acessorsory swaps, but usually I limit the testing down, for example if I replace an EM bulkhead I might just take a Zs at he fitting I replaced and note this on the MEWC

Sponsored Links
Replacing accessories on a like for like basis is considered a maintenance activity thus there is no real need to issue a MEIWC.
Not to say you can't issue one if you wish.
Think of the paperwork if we did this everytime we changed a lamp :LOL:

A like-for-like replacement can be carried out by any householder without the need for a certificate and without the need for electrical work experience (even though the work is still subject, generally, to Part P). The average householder doesn't possess a pad of MWCs to issue to himself - let alone the ability to use a test instrument........

So, why should it be any different for a working electrician, when doing a simple swap?

Do the basic safety tests, make a note of it, change the fitting, get paid and move on to the next job.

Lucia.

may be what your boss asked you to do was an act of prudence as you were working for him - his job, his rules to cover his Rs. Perfectly acceptable to do so, but not necessary, given the situation you describe.

FWIW, if im changing a light fitting, all i do is ensure that the breaker/fuse is suitable and there is a reasonable EFLI if the fitting is class1.

I used to note the Zs in my diary, just as a reminder, but i don't even bother doing that now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back