India, or Australia, or New Zealand were British at one time so have British customs. As to press-on plastic caps these may be sold in UK, but in Algeria they were not on general sale. Never worked out why, but all the evaporated milk in Algeria came from Canada when I worked there. I would buy condensed milk in tubes in France and take it with me. It had a screw cap so easy to re-seal and carry.

But working in the Sahara in the middle of what seemed no where, some locals would arrive with a silver tray with a tea pot of mint tea and offer us tea to drink with them, they seemed to come from no where and then vanish into the sands. It was a very small amount of liquid but at 120 ~ 140°F it was very welcome and I got to like mint tea.

Sponsored Links
Milk was originally used to protect fine china cups from breaking when hot tea was poured into them. Legend has it that only rich people had fine china cups so only rich people needed to use milk in this way. But if the rich put milk in tea then very soon the poor would copy the habit of putting milk in cups before the tea even though their stone mugs would not crack when hot tea was poured into to them

Sponsored Links
You can get press-on plastic caps that fit cans, widely sold in places that sell camping stuff ...
And also pet shops - though I've only seen the ones with a "doggy paw" motif on the top in the size for normal dog food cans.
Isn't thread drift wonderful :whistle:

you can lie them flat on a shelf.
Not enough room - it is an inefficient use of space.

Perhaps your mind became fixated on milk in glass bottles.
No - my mind has become fixated with the idea that if you change something you should make it better, not awkward, inconvenient and less useful purely to save a few pence on the cost.

Exactly. They are designed to lie down on the shelf and be vertical only when supported by a suitable container to aid dispensing.
They take up too much room.

They are unstable when stacked.

I have had several in my fridge and have put one on top of another (though you cannot go more than 2-high) and put things on top of several laid out (lying down!) on a shelf.
What if your consumption of milk is such that you would never have "several" - at most 1 in use and 2 unopened?

What if you have 1 in use, 1 spare and, say, a carton of juice - can you arrange those away where you could put something on top?

Free your mind and think milk bags!
Free your mind, and think if bags are better than rigid bottles in any way except a few pence cheaper.

We all pay too little for our milk anyway. If the price was fair, the savings through use of bags would be even more pointless.

Milk was originally used to protect fine china cups from breaking when hot tea was poured into them. Legend has it that only rich people had fine china cups so only rich people needed to use milk in this way. But if the rich put milk in tea then very soon the poor would copy the habit of putting milk in cups before the tea even though their stone mugs would not crack when hot tea was poured into to them
http://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,,-1400,00.html

... anything but tea.
I once went to a local talk about engineering on a Kenyan tea plantation. It was quite interesting, some of the stuff they had to do to keep things going - and the speaker's loathing for the leader at the time he was there and his corruption. He announced fairly early on that he didn't drink tea, and went on to explain why. Noting thing like the pickers are on piece rate, and it takes time to leave the workplace for what our american friends call "comfort breaks", and more time if you want to follow with hygiene functions after those breaks. No, they'll just squat where they are and then carry on picking.
That was just one reason BTW. Off to make a nice brew now :whistle: It'll be milk in last as it'll be done with a bag in the mug.

Yes, and drink tea - but both get "well cooked" (ie sterilised) in preparation (y)
I used to work on a farm as well - there's more than one reason for pasteurising milk :whistle: Though that brings up another variable - there really isn't any comparison between days old "buggered about with" ((semi-)skimmed) pasteurised milk and some that's quite literally straight from the cow to the mug (either in tea or as a drink in it's own right).

Noting thing like the pickers are on piece rate, and it takes time to leave the workplace for what our american friends call "comfort breaks", and more time if you want to follow with hygiene functions after those breaks. No, they'll just squat where they are and then carry on picking.
That was just one reason BTW.
Any crop grown outdoors will have been sprinkled with stuff from all sorts of creatures.

And if you ever buy anything organic, think on what will have been applied to that.

If you have a compost heap, do you ever "condition" it?

It'll be milk in last as it'll be done with a bag in the mug.
Warm the mug first, as you would a pot (a mugful of boiling water costs <1p) - it does make a difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back