My bloody clutch has gone!

Ended up taking the pedal assembly out. Appears to be a crack in the plastic casing in the cylinder. New one is only £34. Had to move a load of bits out of the way to get to it though.

IMG_1306.jpeg

While I was under it, I noticed the CV boot was split so I thought I’d change that too. Broke a f'cking stud on the Bottom ball joint though and, typical, I chucked both of my buckets of bolts out the other week when I was having a clear out. I removed the broken stud but not paying £20 for a new joint - I’ll pop down my mates garage tomorrow, go through his bolt drawers and nut and bolt it back on.

IMG_1309.jpeg

To top it off, it was lashing down when I went home and I forgot to take my waterproof bottoms with me. I thought I’d shuffle forward on the seat and take cover behind the fairing/screen. No such luck, I got soaked right through to my cock and bollux. Didn’t get home until after 8.30. Gotta get the bits tomorrow and go back up to fit them - when I feel like it!

Sponsored Links
Ended up taking the pedal assembly out. Appears to be a crack in the plastic casing in the cylinder. New one is only £34. Had to move a load of bits out of the way to get to it though.

View attachment 339003

While I was under it, I noticed the CV boot was split so I thought I’d change that too. Broke a f'cking stud on the Bottom ball joint though and, typical, I chucked both of my buckets of bolts out the other week when I was having a clear out. I removed the broken stud but not paying £20 for a new joint - I’ll pop down my mates garage tomorrow, go through his bolt drawers and nut and bolt it back on.

View attachment 339002

To top it off, it was lashing down when I went home and I forgot to take my waterproof bottoms with me. I thought I’d shuffle forward on the seat and take cover behind the fairing/screen. No such luck, I got soaked right through to my cock and bollux. Didn’t get home until after 8.30. Gotta get the bits tomorrow and go back up to fit them - when I feel like it!

This is why you should NEVER chuck out your box of random crap spares....

:D

This is why you should NEVER chuck out your box of random crap spares....

:D
:D :D

And again yesterday. The feeder pipe from the reservoir to the clutch master cylinder was leaking. Of course, I’d thrown all my bits of pipe away too in the great clear out. I ended up cutting 8” of pipe from my airline!

Its like buying stuff that might come in useful in the future but you don't have an immediate need for. I had some bolt extractors sitting in tne garage for twenty years or so that were used for the first time recently. The funny thing is the same set are half the price they were on SF than when I got them

Sponsored Links
Its like buying stuff that might come in useful in the future but you don't have an immediate need for. I had some bolt extractors sitting in tne garage for twenty years or so that were used for the first time recently. The funny thing is the same set are half the price they were on SF than when I got them

How you must have laughed :p:p:p

How you must have laughed :p:p:p
Its the same with the price of power tools. My sds drill, which has been in regular use, costs less now than 25 years ago. Presumably down to low chineese production costs

While I was replacing the CV boot, I took the opportunity to strip the joint down, clean, inspect and repack it with fresh grease.

IMG_1321.jpeg

IMG_1322.jpeg

Last edited:
Come on mottie, i've seen clutches replaced on those motors in 3 hours without breaking a sweat, on a driveway by quite fat and unfit mechanics.
Change the lot.

There's a bloke called Williams on Youtube who has his own mobile clutch fitting business. Turns up and does cars and vans at your home/work. Couple of axle stands under the front ends of the sills, wheels off then he's under there in all winds and weathers (snow, ice, rain) on his back splitting the engine and box and doing the necessary.

Quite something to watch and the bloke has it down to a military operation. It's a blur of activity as he works like a trojan. Take my hat off to him, I couldn't do it.

Daughters clutch went on her volvo, master cylinder inside gearbox, spewed fluid all over cluth plate etc, why oh why did some loony put it inside the box, on older cars it was fixed to the side of the box, thus making an easy repair...... Dohh

Probably the same looney who changed perfectly good timing chains (or even push rods) to a rubber band that will obliterate your engine if it goes wrong. All about ease/cheapness of manufacture and profits for parts and dealer labour.

With hydraulic clutches where the master or slave (sorry Himmy) has failed internally (ie. no outward signs of leaks or damage - how do you diagnose wether it's the master or slave that's at fault?

Or do you change the cheapest/easiest to reach part and hope for the best?

With hydraulic clutches where the master or slave (sorry Himmy) has failed internally (ie. no outward signs of leaks or damage - how do you diagnose wether it's the master or slave that's at fault?
If you are leaking fluid you will see where its coming from (between the engine and gearbox if its the slave cylinder). If you are not losing fluid, it will be an internal seal on the master cylinder. My one was leaking through a crack in the plastic molded cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Back