My Bog!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the last few weeks, i've noticed that the water level in my upstairs toilet has dropped about half inch from the norm, can anyone shed any light on why it would do that. The downstairs is still ok.

Sponsored Links
Maybe someone has adjusted the ball valve ?

I dunno if water temperature may be an issue.

Have you cleaned out the ball valve to see if it returns to original level ?

Al

in the bowl?.. it maybe the weather, and i know this sounds strange, but our loo water level changes with changing air pressure, making it an interesting barometer.

yes, inside the bowl.......its never happened before, just in the past 2-3 weeks there has been a considerable difference.......may look down the sewer drain in the garden to see if anything has happened down there to cause a pressure drop.

Sponsored Links
What happens to the level when you flush the bowl?

Some have a syphoning effect that practically empties the bowl during flush, then fills the bowl up again to the level of the invert of the bend after the syphon effect is broken.

In simple types water level rises and washes material over the bend. Then water level falls back to level of the bend invert.

The cat`s been drinking it ..mine does :eek:

Nige F said:
The cat`s been drinking it ..mine does :eek:

so does my dog when I give it lamb vindaloo instead of pedigree chum

If the toilet is syphonic this is a common problem when the bong goes. The part is around £20 and it can be an awkward job sometimes. However, do bear in mind toilets nowdays are cheap.

Plumbers earning more than PM.....Bong......Minimum wage to rise 20%...Bong.......Syphonic bogs to be outlawed by Yorks. Water as wasteful.......new ones to be supplied FOC....bong..Nige F on DIYnot for News@ 10 :eek:

MarkGrainger said:
Over the last few weeks, i've noticed that the water level in my upstairs toilet has dropped about half inch from the norm, can anyone shed any light on why it would do that. The downstairs is still ok.
If the toilets share a soil stack, then it could be a partial blockage in the one with the low water level.

If different stacks, then suspect vent, or the run into the foul waste, or both.

sidecar_jon said:
...i know this sounds strange, but our loo water level changes with changing air pressure...
You have a fault too then!

sidecar_jon said:
in the bowl?.. it maybe the weather, and i know this sounds strange, but our loo water level changes with changing air pressure, making it an interesting barometer.
Mine goes with the moon, like me :eek: :confused:

too much wind can have this effect

the type that blows accross the top of the stack and sucks the water out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back