My Electric Shower (over my bath)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wasn't sure if this belonged in the ELECTRICS selection or PLUMBING so I apologize if i'm in the wrong one!

I have an electric shower and it is fine, but I am trying to learn how they (electric) showers work in general...

Is this correct, please tell me where I am wrong guys.

The pull-cord in the bathroom is pulled to ON position allowing current to reach the shower unit.

When the shower is turned on at the dial to (hot) the electric supply to it energises a solenoid valve.

This solenoid valve then opens to the required amount depending on heat required according to temperature selected on dial, allowing cold water through to pass through the small copper cylinder.

The water then instantly heats and comes out through the shower hose and shower head...

There is also a relief / overheat cut off device that automatically open if the thermostat fails or the water gets too hot and this runs out of the small plastic tube/hose which is behind the shower hose outlet.

Thank you for listening ... I await your reply and info :D

Sponsored Links
the solenoid valve opens fully.
the flow stabilizer valve controls the flow of water over the heating elements in the tank.
the tco will activate if the water gets to hot due to restrict flow.
the pressure relief device will operate if the pressure is to great due to blocked showerhead, kinked hose etc.

Hi again

Thank you for your points =

Is the solenoid valve activated (opened) when the dial is turned to the ON [Hot] poisiton ?

no the solenoid is opened soon as the shower power is turned on.
the is the valve that the mains water pipe connects to.

their is then a microswitch that is activated by the pressure of the water which gives the power to the heating elements.

if say your mains pressure is below 1 bar then the pressure will not activate the plunger to activate the microswitch/s
so then your heating elements won't get power and what ever setting your shower will be on hot/cold the shower will be cold.

Sponsored Links
thanks i understand it now.

Next I suppose the flow stabilizer valve controls how much water goes through at a time (depending how hot you want your water).

thats it the elements stay the same temp but its the speed the water passes over them, thats why hot will be slightly slower than fully cold.

It is amazing what you learn.

Just to clarify: the solenoid opens as soon as the pullcord turns power on to the shower?

and the TCO will usually operate if debris etc is built up inside the tank which makes the water too hot. (although the pressure relief will probably also opearet under this circumstance).

Thank you so much seco services.

pullcord or start/stop button on front of unit is pressed.

the tco will activate if the flow stabiliser is faulty not letting enough water into the tank, shower hose or showerhead slightly blocked not letting the water out quick enough.
if you fully kink a hose or block the showerhead then the prd will activate as it has built up to much pressure in the shower unit or tank etc.

one way to test a faulty flow stabilizer is remove head turn on to fully cold you should get a fast flow then turn to fully hot the flow should reduce quite abit.
if both hot/cold are about even the the flow stabilizer can be faulty

Thanks. You've been great.

My shower has a pull cord (in the bathroom) and then I have to also turn the dial to the ON position and then to what temp i require and then water flows. so probs my solenoid operates when i turn the dial!

Thanks again though

All the best

To throw a spanner in the works, there are now some thermostatic electric showers which can regulate the power through the heating elements to account for variations in flow rate should someone flush the loo or use a tap elsewhere in the house for example.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back