my first go at plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Weve decided to decorate the hall/stairs and landing and upon stripping the paper have noticed a fair amount of plaster thats come away from the wall back to brick.

Iv taken of most of the shot plaster and am now left with plaster thats seems sound.

Me and my friend are planning on plastering these sections but im a little stuck on what type of plaster to use. For the bigger sections (pretty much a whole wall) should i go for hardwall and then finish coat skim? or toughcoat and then finish plaster? and the smaller sections (around 2mx2m sections) just a one coat filler of somekind?

iv uploaded some pictures so you can see what im working with

Sponsored Links
Hi gaz,
Well done mate for having a go. Have you done any plastering before?
Do you have the tools?
The patches that you have are very do-able for a DIY'er, and we could take you safely thro it.

Have you thought about pre-painting/undercoating any surrounding surfaces eg. the ceiling and woodwork?

Hi gaz,
Well done mate for having a go. Have you done any plastering before?
Do you have the tools?
The patches that you have are very do-able for a DIY'er, and we could take you safely thro it.

Have you thought about pre-painting/undercoating any surrounding surfaces eg. the ceiling and woodwork?

Thanks for the reply :)

Iv never done plastering before but iv done alot of research and watched alot of videos ha ha

Iv not thought about pre-painting surfaces. Do you mean the surface I plan to plaster? If so I planned to apply a pva mix however today I found out hardwall/toughcoat doesn't need a pva coat.

As for the smaller patches iv took the plaster back to where it seems solid, should I use the same hardwall/toughcoat base then skim method?

Thanks

Pre-paint "surrounding" surfaces?

Browning and gypsum finish will do fine as powders. Or perhaps you would be happier with this one-coat stuff.

Give yourself as many clean, non-ragged edges to work to as possible - Cut back all your edges to straight undercut lines. Knock-off that bit at the door architrave.

PVA is not req'd, simply wet down the brickwork before floating.

Why not practice on a low accessible spot, knock-off and practice again and again.

All tools, covers, access eqpt and cleaning buckets must be in place before any work or practice. Clean up in the yard. Beware of what goes down the gulley.

Sponsored Links
Are you classing hardwall/toughcoat as a one coat stuff?

I was going to do either of those and then skim with multi-finish.

I'm gonna take all that plaster away around the door, I might take the architrave off aswell for an easier life around the door. I will update with pictures later :)

Thanks

Leave it exposed like that, it looks funky lol

Regards to painting surrounding areas first, don't bother.
You will notice the newer bit of paint. Plus you are going to have to mist coat the new plaster anyway.

wet brick work,bonding coat to brick work out to excisting plaster.leave a day and then skim over the lot,easy,i would leave the bit down the side of the door way and skim over with thin paint scrapper.
and when ur at it a light bond over the ceiling and skim aswell

The man isn't attempting just a plaster only job, he's decorating his hall, stairwell and landing. Undercoating woodwork and ceiling, and cutting-in the ceiling will help out ( so i've found) on the decorating side.

A quick u/coat of flat surfaces will highlight defects for a dab of filler.

You mention misting, then why not say what it is, and how it's applied and why?

He's a first time learner for spreading, and the notion that he could "easy" tackle a ceiling first time out is not on. Which ceiling- the hallway or the stairwell?

He's learning, asking for advice on a DIY forum - no mention has yet been made of tools, spot board, hawk step-up, wet brush etc. He wants help in getting the powder from the bag to the board to the wall.

I've never seen or heard of anyone applying plaster with a paint scraper. But, i'm willing to learn.

I've never seen or heard of anyone applying plaster with a paint scraper

if u can let me know where u can get a trowel about 3 inches wide for in between his door and wall,let me know.ive allways found it easy to use a thin paint scrapper to get at the really awkward spots.but if ur not comfortable with ur skills then use what u like.
u forgot to mention to give him directions to the diy store. :eek:
hes allready seen the vids and read up on plastering so hes sorted on that account.

londonpuma,

i'm not a plasterer, but i can render, spread powder, and skim drywall, and also run historic pattern decorative work on the bench and fix on site - i can also run-in and match up in-situ decorative work. I make profiles and, when necessary, my own small tools.

The logic of skimming around the archi and then downing the steel trowel to paint scraper a dab of skim across a small patch is beyond me.

But i live and learn, if a guy finds that something works for him, then so be it.

I apologise for jumping in about learning advice - you are right, he really only wanted advice on what stuff to use, i was wrong.

Well i think it went pretty well.

When the bounding coat was drying it started to show hairline cracks which made me feel nervous (not sure if that's normal or not) I scoured lines in it and then did the skim finish.

I actually enjoyed doing it and I think it looks pretty good for a complete beginner. Once it's dried I'll sand some of the rough edges and it should be good to go :)

Thanks for your help :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back