My first soldered joints - how they look?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a few practice attempts with yorkshire joints as I've never done any plumbing before.

Do these look ok? I couldn't seem to stop the pipe going a yellow colour before the solder was melting, but is this ok?

They were all watertight, and as you can see from one of them it cleaned up really well with wire wool afterwards - all the discolouring disappeared after a quick clean.

Do these look ok to the pro's?

plumb1.jpg

plumb2.jpg

Sponsored Links
What did you use on the pipe an oxyaceteline torch :LOL:

If I were you I would cut open the couplings and take a look at the solder spread inside ... I think you may be surprised as it looks like you've seriously overheated the joint and I wouldn't expect a uniform take.

Remember also that you heat the coupling not the pipe ;)

So perhaps I need to use less heat/hold the torch further away for a longer period of time..?

I did try a lower heat setting but it felt like I was there for ages and the solder still never melted until I focussed the heat, at which point the pipe started to slowly discolour.

When you guys do these joints do you get any discolouration of the pipe or should it always retain its original colour throughout the process? Or do you simply wire wool it clean after you've made the joint?

Sponsored Links
megawatt said:
Remember also that you heat the coupling not the pipe
Really? I always heat the pipe as well. The object is to get both fitting and pipe to solder meting temperature together, then withdraw the heat. You can't rely solely on the heat transfer from fitting to pipe to get the pipe to temperature at the same time.

In truth Chris, so do I once the solder starts to melt ... Outwards from the centre of the coupling to each end in turn to flow the solder outwards.

I was making the point about heating the coupling though as it looks like the OP has been focusing on the pipe and overheating as a result ... Great route to a bad joint ;)

MW

for first effort not too bad just shine them up and they will look good i always heat the fitting and let ti run that way but everyone has their own way of doign things

Im no expert as If there wasnt regs with having to use these on some gas pipes id have thrown them out ages ago and made more room for compression lol

but I remember when I started doing it I was a nightmare with 22mm pipe, 15 was no bother heated up straight away and took the solder fine.

you sed you were at it for ages then had to focus the torch to get it to melt, get the hotest part of the flame on the connection from the begginning and itll heat up much better and not have as much effect on the whole pipe.

I persoanlly take the heat to the pipe up and down both sides of the connection for maybe 5 or 10 sec just to take the chil off the pipe really then focus it straight on the joint, wait till it starts to change colour and then keeping the heat on the pipe stick the solder in.

watch me get torn to shreds here... if necessary i run the flux brush over the joint after soldering. Laco will clean the joint and then wipe off with clean(ish) wet cloth (I use bar towel)... and yes, your joints a bit too hot. MAPP gas burns very hot so low flame will do the job... try end feed, wipe excess flux before soldering and they will look even better than before...

if necessary i run the flux brush over the joint after soldering. Laco will clean the joint and then wipe off with clean(ish) wet cloth

Always have done, but with a damp rag. Was taught by the old hands that its good practice to wipe a joint:cool:

mk2phil, as has been said, try end feed.

Tip, when warming the fitting keep dabbing the solder on then when you see it starting to run move flame away whilst applying solder then short burst of heat as and when required.

leakydave said:
watch me get torn to shreds here... if necessary i run the flux brush over the joint after soldering. Laco will clean the joint and then wipe off with clean(ish) wet cloth (I use bar towel)...
Yep I agree aswell Dave. Have used Laco for a fair few years now and I use Kimwipe. Havent tried the old Frys Fluxite paste in a while :eek:

Stan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back