my laptop wont work round the ladyfriends gaff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am having trouble using email at the girlfriends gaff whilst using my laptop.
At my house it connects to broadband via a wireless router.
As she don't have broadband or come to think of it a computer i regularly take my laptop round.
Now i can get onto the internet no problem but whenever i try to log into my email i keep getting error messages.
I was receiving no problem but couldn't send so I tried inserting 1470 on the dial up, this worked but the following week (tonight) i went round hers, hooked up the laptop and nothing.. not receiving or sending yet connecting to internet no problem.
Another thing i noticed was that i took ages (3 min plus) to shutdown.
Any ideas or advice, i have now deleted the dial up connection.

Sponsored Links
skybluescooby said:
As she don't have broadband or come to think of it a computer i regularly take my laptop round.

she really must love you

skybluescooby said:
Now i can get onto the internet no problem but whenever i try to log into my email i keep getting error messages.

the error message being .......................

If I was popping round the girlfriends the last thing on my mind would be checking my emails and surfing the net, unless you have some 'unusual' hobbies that is ;)

I am now receiving the following error message at mine during send and receive on outlook 554 recipient address rejected access denied.
I have tried sending emails to my other freeserve account and hotmail but i still get the same message.
I tried turning off and on then it worked but the connection icon said not connected yet everything was fine, only difference i noticed here was that when i came to this forum it asked me to log in, something it doesn't normally do ????

Sponsored Links
in reverse

forum asked you to log on becuse there were "major problems" nothing to do with your laptop

Igorian is really the best to answer this one, but i do have a thought

when i got BB (still with same isp) i had to change my "dial up" information, it was only the addition of two letters to my username.

I am wondering that as you installed a dial up connection, then delted it, if your "dial up" is different form your BB "dialup" like mine was (your LT still using dial up info instead of BB dial up info)

I was at some ones house once, they had a similar problem, changed from dial up to BB (same as me stayed with same isp) i asked if i could help, i checked the BB dial up info,( as emailed when they applied for BB) and sure enough they too had to change their username by two letters, did that and hey presto BB connection worked

Please note

I know BB doesnt actualy dial up in the sence a dial up modem does, i just can not think of the right words, and also it uses the same connection screen just differnt settings, so thats why i called it BB dial up

my isp is BT

I know what your saying here, the two words are fs i think, for the life of me i cannot find the area/page/dial up information in order to change it,
Any ideas where it is ?

It's possible that you're using the wrong SMTP server name.

If would be helpful to the fault-finding process if you would post here:

1. The dialup domain and telephone number that you're using.
2. The POP3 and SMTP server names that you're using.
3. The error code returned when you have a failed attempt to send (and/or receive).

EMAIL IS WORKING FOR NOW, SENDING AND RECEIVING OK however sites that i am registered to are ow asking me for my log in details, these were set up to log in automatically
Im using wireless broadband via wanadoo and the pop smtp are both pop.freeserve.com, smtp.freeserve.com

Would it be correct to say that your original problems have been resolved, and that your only problem now is having to type in some characters?

Softus said:
3. The error code returned when you have a failed attempt to send (and/or receive).
554 recipient address rejected access denied

I think its like breezer said, something to do with the two letters at the end of the account name.
Its as if im trying to connect to the internet from another gateway address as all the sites im registered with are asking me to log in despite having registered as remember my details

Softus said:
Would it be correct to say that your original problems have been resolved, and that your only problem now is having to type in some characters?

Not 100% sure as the problem first came to light last night and following a deletion of landline dial up, which was giving me problems when used at girlfriends gaf, everything worked fine.
Until tonight when i switched on and email error message returned.
Its working again now following numerous clicks on the linksys"repair" button.
So it'll probably go again soon. like i said i think theres a problem with my ip address

i am not sure its your ip address (igorian help please) the two letters in both cases were hg. dont know why but it will not work without them.

as i said i realised this when i read all the small print in the instructions for setting up my BB account.

come to think of it, a mate had a similar problem, funny thing was his isp company emailed him the answer, but he couldnt get it becuse he couldn't log onto get his email.

may be worth you giving your isp a phone call

Its totally weird,
I have found the log on name and the two letters ,fs, in this instant were ok, i have gone to the wireless settings and reset it as per the initial set up and email is working as before, but for how long.
However the sites are still asking for my log in details.
Think i'll wait till igoran pops in and leaves some help.
Whilst here could he also advise me on how to secure a wireless network connection as i'm pretty sure it was secure until all this happened.
It says this network is open for configured access,information sent over this network may be visible to others. you are currently connected to this network, click disconnect below
Finally i have an O2 xda which has an active 24/7 gprs connection, a work thing, this is sited next to the router, could it be causing some interference at all and causing all this ??
Again up until yesterday it never happened

perhaps if we got
batman_bat_signal_prop_sm.jpg
one of these, take the batman logo off wrote "igorian" on it he may appear? :LOL:

Jeepers, this is not rocket science. And faults are not weird, they're just faults.

And I don't understand why you're chasing faults that have gone away. If you're having SMTP failures, then you've either got the wrong SMTP server name, or an interfering firewall. If not, then you haven't.

If you've connected to a wireless access point that isn't secure, XP will tell you so. If you want more security, then configure, as a minimum, WEP64 at the router/access point, and use either passphrase or a manually set key that only you know.

If you want to lessen the risk of wireless hacking then you can suppress broadcase of the SSID.

If you want even more security, and the access point supports it, then configure the access control list by MAC address so that only your declared devices can connect.

Regarding interference, if your wireless connection if intermittent, then possibily (although I haven't checked the frequencies) your GPRS terminal is causing a problem, but I have a client with an o2 xda, which she habitually uses right next to an 802.11g access point that I installed for her, and it isn't a problem.

Lastly, remember that 802.11 is just a framing layer, and has nothing to do with any TCP/IP problems that you might be having.

Sponsored Links
Back