My living room AV install. Work in progress with pics.

How many projectors have you got? :LOL:
Your photo shows a picture from the ceiling one and another on the left-hand unit - what's that for?

Sponsored Links
A lot of the covering up of the brickwork was replacing old bonding and filling in the channels for the cables. The plaster itself is only about 5-10mm thicker than it was before, but the rawl bolts are about 40-50mm long and were recesses a little into the wall before feeding in the 2 bolts. I thought at the time that most of the stregnth was in the 4 10mm rawl plugs as they are heafty beasts which my local Sky installer uses to mount dishes on chimneys with.
I'm just playing safe really as you can expect with a £2.5k screen on the wall, although it has been up for 2 days now and that includes me pulling on the TV to make sure that it doesn't budge.

Very well spotted Bob.
I've got a new on on the ceiling now so the old one currently sat onthe AV rack is pretty redundant really.

P1000050.jpg

Well if it's really redundant I can provide my address and take it off your hands.... :LOL:

My guess is that no doubt it will end up on your bedroom ceiling, but if you take as long as you did mounting the Viera that could be months away!

Sponsored Links
Well put.
I'll probably just lend it to a mate. He only has a basic setup but he likes his Sky movies and you can Scart it to a television & leave the TV on in the background for the sound.

Can't you at least make him promise to get a proper set-up? I mean honestly, using a TV for the sound? If I had a friend without a home cinema system, I wouldn't relent until he stopped being a girl and bought one. 'specially if I was lending him a projector.

It's a good point adam as you can pick them up for as little as a couple of hundred quid now, but it's the age old argument of having to lay speaker wires around the room isn't it, where as mine were laid under the floorboards and terminate at these:-

P1000055.jpg

muffking just a quick question. where did you get the white plastic item that makes the wall look presentable where the wires (scart ect) are coming out of the centre. The reason I ask is because I have done the same as you with my 37" LCD and would like to get one to finnish it off.

MoJo jojo said:
muffking just a quick question. where did you get the white plastic item that makes the wall look presentable where the wires (scart ect) are coming out of the centre. The reason I ask is because I have done the same as you with my 37" LCD and would like to get one to finnish it off.

home made weren't it?

ooi, what sort of price we talking for projector bulbs nowadays? i heard they were £70 odd a year or so ago. Surely not . . . ?

Excellent job muffking, i wish i had that sort of setup!

by the way, taking the power up into the ceiling from a chimney breast may not be as easy as it seems. in our house, the floor above has a concrete platform for about a foot in front of the chimney breast. Looks like access would be tricky there, but it may just be our house (1950-60)

MoJo jojo said:

Yes, it was homemade (he mentions how he did it earlier on)

Blanking plates are good for making all sorts of custom accessories. People have been known to put multiple aerial connections on them (cable, satellite, aerial plus FM, all on one double plate), and if you can buy the connector at Maplin then you can drill a hole and install it on a blank plate. For example, in muff's case he could have made some custom plates with banana connectors if he had wanted to use big fat speaker cables.

If only I had thought of this a couple of years ago then my satellite feed would look a lot neater.

True. Basically I wanted to use push clip terminals in this case.

Mojo. It's just a blank mains face plate with a hole drilled out enough to allow the leads to come through it.

A tip from me:

If you make a big hole and want to put some kind of grommet round the edge to make it look neater, you can take a length of aerial coaxial cable. Slit it lengthways (very carefully), and remove the innards. Now, use the outer insulation as your grommet.

I did that when I cut a big hole in my computer, looks much neater than bare metal and meant I didn't have to be quite so worrysome about deburring.

Duuude!!!

That looks AWESOME!! (legal or not).

When I put my cinema in, I put the speaker wires behind new coving then through the wall to the understairs cupbard. Now the missus is insisting we change the room around and have the TV etc.. on the other wall! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Why do I bother!!

Women seldom understand: there is generally only one satisfactory arrangement for TV, speakers etc. in any one room. They'll insist that the TV goes in the corner (i.e. completely off-axis from the surround-sound set-up you've carefully installed) or that it isn't necessary to have a 7.1 EX system in order to enjoy watching Eastenders.

However, I am pleased to see that women are becoming more tech-friendly, and I think the more elegant, slimmer designs of the latest kit has really helped. Guys have always bought boxed-shape bits of equipment, no matter how it looked. But girls seem to appreciate the aesthetics as much if not more than the kit's performance. I know several women with flat-panel TVs, but only one guy with one. :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back