My new-build home - something's not right

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I bought my current home in 2004, it was a new-build by Bellway. During the time I've been here, I've noticed some "quirks" in the electrics, and would appreciate any advice on whether I need to take any action, or just put up with things the way they are...

1. There are 2 sockets in the kitchen which are powered by the upstairs ring main. I only discovered this when I turned the downstairs power off to do some drilling, and heard the fridge kick in - which scared me a little!

2. The upstairs sockets are on a 32A ring main, but the downstairs sockets are on a 16A circuit. A spark who was out to quote me on some outdoor lights had a poke in the CU and announced that the downstairs circuit had not been terminated back at the CU, so was just a radial circuit. This explains why kettle + tumble dryer + washing machine frequently = reset mcb.

3. The CU is a split-load one, with lights (etc) on one side, and sockets on the other protected by an RCD. The electric over has its own mcb, but this is on the RCD side of the CU, and is prone to tripping the RCD on initial switch-on.

That's it from the house of horrors... I don't know whether any of these can / should be corrected under the NHBC scheme?

Finally, on a seperate note, I was looking for some advice. I have 2 smoke alarms which are mains powered and connected together so that if one sounds they both sound. The cable for this is 4-core - live, neutral, earth and "link". Where can I source this from to add an additional, linked alarm?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
What paperwork did you get from the builders?

Any electrical certs?

Nope, nothing... I did ask the site office, when it was still here, if they could give me a copy of the wiring-run plans - I thought it would be useful to know where things were before drilling - but they seemed dismissive of this idea.

There's an mcb in the CU labelled "2 sockets in study". I reckon these 2 sockets should have been the last leg of the downstairs ring, but were missed off and added as an afterthought?

Hi guys

Finally, on a seperate note, I was looking for some advice. I have 2 smoke alarms which are mains powered and connected together so that if one sounds they both sound. The cable for this is 4-core - live, neutral, earth and "link". Where can I source this from to add an additional, linked alarm?

Thanks!!

The cable is called 1mm 3 core & earth. You can get it from any electrical wholesellers, they will sell it by the meter & by the roll.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't sound like the most ideal setup but if you can put up with the continued nuisance RCD trips and remember not to use the kettle if you're drying your clothes in the dryer... ;)

Although I understand that the older your oven gets the more prone it is to earth leakage - which will make those nuisance trips that little bit more regular!

I suppose ultimately its whether the cost of putting it right outweighs the annoyance of trips to the CU :LOL:

While its not electrically unsafe it does sound like your electrical system has been poorly designed/installed and is not fit for purpose. Get the builder back under the house guarantee and express your concerns to them, it wont cost you anything and the worst that can happen is they do nothing about it. It may be possible to convert the downstairs sockets in to a ring main but without seeing the layout of the house i cant be certain.

Best you can do if the builder refuses to address your issues is ask friends and family if they can recommend a good electrician and ask him/her to pop round and offer some advice.

All the best
Dan

1. There are 2 sockets in the kitchen which are powered by the upstairs ring main. I only discovered this when I turned the downstairs power off to do some drilling, and heard the fridge kick in - which scared me a little!

I always put one socket in kitchens off the upstairs ring, but always make sure it's noted at the cu & on circuit schedule.

2. The upstairs sockets are on a 32A ring main, but the downstairs sockets are on a 16A circuit. A spark who was out to quote me on some outdoor lights had a poke in the CU and announced that the downstairs circuit had not been terminated back at the CU, so was just a radial circuit. This explains why kettle + tumble dryer + washing machine frequently = reset mcb.

You could get the 16amp changed to a 20amp.

3. The CU is a split-load one, with lights (etc) on one side, and sockets on the other protected by an RCD. The electric over has its own mcb, but this is on the RCD side of the CU, and is prone to tripping the RCD on initial switch-on.

Does the oven have a switch on the wall, if so does it have a socket on it. If it has a socket thats probably why they put it on the rcd side.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLSD161.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA1slash3Gslash50.html

I always put one socket in kitchens off the upstairs ring, but always make sure it's noted at the cu & on circuit schedule.

I prefer a separate radial cct for fridge/freezer

I would

1. contact the NHBC and complain like hell. They will have all the details of the builder and will expect him, under the NHBC rules, to rectify the problems.
2. If you can, find out the name of the pratt that designed and installed the system. This may not be the same person!
3. If the spark is a member of a governing body eg the NICEIC, then contact them and complain like hell.

4. Failing all the above see if you can spot the electrician in a western as he sounds like a cowboy to me!!

Incidentally it is bad practice to have the cooker wired up on the RCD side of the c/u and it is just plain laziness dropping two sockets off the upstairs ring to the kitchen - we always have the kitchen sockets on their own breaker.

I also agree with DESL when he says the fridge/freezer should be on their own separate radial circuit with breaker as they are prone to earth leakage and can trip the mcb which you dont want if you are way on holiday for 3 weeks pooooooooooh.

And as a PS.

As the owner of this brand new installation you must be given the original of the Electrical installation certificate.

This will confirm that the installation conforms to BS7671 and what the test results were.
It will be asked for when u come to sell the house.

I have an estate agent as a client. One of their houses is stuck in the selling chain because an extension was added to the house 2 years ago(with building regs and everything).

The buyers solicitor wont budge until they have an EIC for the electrical work done in the extension. (And no, I didnt do the installation!)

The buyers solicitor wont budge until they have an EIC for the electrical work done in the extension. (And no, I didnt do the installation!)

Well thats going to be tricky unless the original contractor has one on file.... (or he fudges one...!)

I suggest that it would be more sensible to settle on a PIR and get it over and done with!

Anyway, is the EIC wanted by the buyer?, or is the solicitor deciding what the buyer ought to receive?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back