My new-build home - something's not right

That's where I come in - to do the PIR. What I was trying to say in the above was that for a brand new house the new proud owner should have all of the documents relating to the property.
Certification of the electrics is just one item.

Sponsored Links
My brother-in-law recently bought a new-build (Bloor) and I asked to see the PIR. He didn't have one. Luckily he asked the salesperson who managed to find it. His solicitor didn't mention it so without my intervention he'd never had known he had a right to it.

Sponsored Links
Can I ask experienced, hardened sparks what is the best practise.

a) for the whole kitchen to be on it's own ring final circuit.
b) fridge & freezer on own radial circuit and the rest (inc remainder kitchen sockets) on downstairs ring final main,
c) fridge and freezer on own radial and remainder of kitchen on own ring final.

I understand all three options are perfectly with regs, but in practise what would you do ideally. (Assuming standard loads and average size house etc)

c is the best practice but it is also the most expensive so those trying to keep prices down won't do it.

it is a bit like the whole split load vs rcbos vs rcd sockets desicion

Off the back of this can you advise what you would be best practise. (assuming standard size house, average loadings, no cable derating required)

a) Downstairs kitchen on own ring final circuit.
b) All of Downstairs on one ring final circuit (no extra circuits for kitchen etc)
c) Radial circuit for freezer & fridge in additionl to the downstairs ring final circuit.
d) Extra Radial circuit for fridge & freezer AND remainder of kitchen on separate ring final circuit.

For the last 35 years on 2-4 bed houses I have installed 2 rings, Kitchen and rooms above on one ring, rest of the house on the other.
No customer has ever had any problems.

On bigger installation I will install ring to kitchen and rooms above, then 2 rings covering the rest, each ring feeding up and down.

My view is that by doing this you are spreading the load, bedrooms draw very little so why have them on their own ring, however ground floor is where the loads are.

Then there is the cable, having rings up only and rings down only uses so much more cable, not very cost effective.

As for putting in a radial for the freezer, nice in an ideal world, not practical most of the time.
When was the last time an RCD tripped and went unnoticed for more than 24 Hours, that's how long the freezer will last unopened.

The last time I heard a client had lost the freezer contents was 15 years ago and that was because the freezer failed, nothing to do with the RCD.

Based on this I think it's a waste of effort, time and clients money.

It is not a requirement of BS7671.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back