My new shed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm looking to build me an extension to my current shed, well actually a new shed altogether and just wanted to run my ideas by you.

It's going in a corner made up of the current shed and boundary fence. So for the two sides you can't see I was just going to use OSB2 with a liberal coating of oil based paint. The roof will overhang significantly anyway so the chances of any water getting to the OSB will be slim.

For the other two sides I have a large quantity of decking stacked up and was hoping to use this as I have no other use for it!

My plan was to mount the boards vertically so the ridges don't hold water and butt them up against each other.

My only concern is waterproofing the gaps between the boards. One option is to route out the back of the left side and the front of the right side so the boards overlap by say 10mm although this seems like a huge job considering the number of boards and length to be routed!

Option B is to butt them up to each other and then use some kind of sealant (silicone??) to run down all the joins both front and back side.

What do you think might be the best solution?

Cheers,

Ian

Sponsored Links
you would be far better to sell the excess and buy the correct materials [5" txg shiplap ]

you cannot paint silicon so would look awful
why not use the decking for the floor and maybe roof

Cheers big-all

I have tried selling it but no one wants 30 x 4M lengths of deckboard for a decent price. Shiplap will cost me about £150 for the front and side of the shed (still using OSB for the rear and other side that can't be seen). Although I do agree it's the correct product for the job.

Also with using decking it will be far stronger structurally.

Surely there is some product out there to be able to seal between wooden slats it will only be wind driven rain hitting it anyway so not as if it's gonna be underwater.

Sponsored Links
Now there's an idea!! Instead of stopping it getting through which could look carp deal with it IF it gets through.

Thanks Chippie :)

Rip some of the decking down into say 5/8 rips use these to cover the vertical joints, seal the joints on the rips with frame sealent just nail one side to allow for expansion

you would be far better to sell the excess and buy the correct materials [5" txg shiplap ]

you cannot paint silicon so would look awful
why not use the decking for the floor and maybe roof
paintable silicone is available

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back