My Shed Insulation Plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I have a cold and drafty shed in my garden. I store allot of things in it from a jet wash to our bikes. In the winter it gets properly cold and seems to have issues with mosture covering everything resulting in rust and mould. The roof is both tarred and felted and has no leaks. The front doors are very drafty and have loads of gaps in them and arround the seal witht he frame.

So im planning on insulating it. It's tong and groove whcih is a good start. I dont want to spend allot of money doing so and want to recycle what I have arround the house where possible..

So here is the plan...

* Expanding foam all the gaps (roof apex and where the roof meets the walls)
* Fit a builders moisture membrain to all the walls and roof whcih is fitted directly to the outer tong and grove)
* Line the wall battons (about 4mm out from the wall) with the foil bubble wrap. I will stuff thin downed loft wool into the gaps between the membrain and the foil bubble wrap. All joins will be taped. I will do the same for the roof.
* I will fit perspex on top of the existing single sheet windows whcih will create a 10mm air gap and result in very poor double glazing
* I will fit a seal round the door frame and membrain the door. I will then fit a double layer buble wrap to the membraine (or should I fit carpet to this instead as a barrier). (no space to pack it with insulation).
* I will fit old cartper to the full floor to give a barrier also.

I have most of these materials helping keep my budget down.

So what's your thoughts...? Will this work or am I waisting my efforts?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back