My wall is becoming transparent!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.
I am decorating a room and I noticed that I can see the outline of the breezeblocks on one wall of my room. I attach a piccie (I hope you can see it, it is faint).

The outlines of the bricks are a faint darker colour.

Can I just add a new coat of paint? or should I reskim?

PS - there was earlier damp in that room but not sure if that has a bearing..,
Thanks
N
View media item 44270

Sponsored Links
Is the paint dry in the picture? as the problem often goes away with drying. Its all to do with thermal properties.

diynoobie said:
there was earlier damp in that room but not sure if that has a bearing..

That would be my guess. The blocks have dried out faster than the cement and the higher moisture content of the plaster over cement is making it darker. :idea: :idea: :idea:

But I'm not a builder so might be wrong ---

Thanks for looking guys. The paints been dry for years!

It only affects 1 wall too

Sponsored Links
So you havn't painted it yet.

Dirt (could be caused by burning candles or a coal fire for example) its drawn in by warm air and where the wall is colder it doesnt stick. Its to do with the thermal properties of the materials, the mortar is colder so to speak. I probably havn't explained the technicalities that well but it is the problem, when you paint it it is likely to dry showing the outlines but once dry should be ok.

yup, it's an external(ish) wall (there is the outer brick wall, a small gap and then my neighbours garage betond the breeze blocks.

if the dirt/soot targets external walls then maybe that could be it - i'l try scrubbing it and see if it comes off...

You get more condensation on external walls. The coldest parts (mortar) collect the most water then the water traps the most dust.

They are big blocks - maybe Durox - they need a protective coat

When my wall became transparent - I called it a window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back