My wall needs fixing!

Sponsored Links
Hmm looks pretty thin for a retaining wall supporting a driveway.. and done in block its bound to have problems..

It looks a little beyond the point of "fixing" and more into the realms of rebuilding with something that will last 20 years..

I agree with static that it looks a little beyond fixing. It is not possible to tell how well the wall was built in the first place without investigation unless you know yourself. What I mean is that, concrete block retaining walls can be stepped in thickness on the hidden and buried side leaving the top few visible courses just a block thick like a normal above ground wall.

There are anchor systems that can stablise walls but they don't come cheap and are better suited to bigger civil engineering works. I would expect the best solution to you would be rebuilding as some point.

The immediate concern is, has this happened gradually over a long time or something much more recent ? Whilst it has obviously moved, from the photos it does not look dangerously out of plumb yet. It would be good idea to check the higher sections to see how much out of plumb they are and record it on a sketch drawing with the date on it. You can then check it again later to see if the movement is ongoing.

Are there any drainage holes (weep holes) along near the bottom of the wall ?

You may want to think about getting an engineer to check it for you and to advise what needs to be done.

Obviously if you have to rebuild, the cost will be more than the wall if you have to resuface part of your drive, or any other affected area behind the wall.

Sponsored Links
I agree with static that it looks a little beyond fixing. It is not possible to tell how well the wall was built in the first place without investigation unless you know yourself. What I mean is that, concrete block retaining walls can be stepped in thickness on the hidden and buried side leaving the top few visible courses just a block thick like a normal above ground wall.

There are anchor systems that can stablise walls but they don't come cheap and are better suited to bigger civil engineering works. I would expect the best solution to you would be rebuilding as some point.

The immediate concern is, has this happened gradually over a long time or something much more recent ? Whilst it has obviously moved, from the photos it does not look dangerously out of plumb yet. It would be good idea to check the higher sections to see how much out of plumb they are and record it on a sketch drawing with the date on it. You can then check it again later to see if the movement is ongoing.

Are there any drainage holes (weep holes) along near the bottom of the wall ?

You may want to think about getting an engineer to check it for you and to advise what needs to be done.

Obviously if you have to rebuild, the cost will be more than the wall if you have to resuface part of your drive, or any other affected area behind the wall.

Thanks for your response, this wall has been like this for a few years, i dont think it has moved much recently, im not keen on a rebuild as that would cost more than i can afford. I just want to try and stop it moving anymore if possible, how could i check how much it moves?

You can fix it

Take down whatever section you need to rebuild either side of the crack and blend it in. It wont be straight mind

Or install some helical steel rods across the crack to hold it all together. Google for Twistfix or Helifix

That looks like root damage, and it looks like a crack or dip across the adjacent path too. If there is someone else's tree nearby, then claim off them

You can fix it

Take down whatever section you need to rebuild either side of the crack and blend it in. It wont be straight mind

Or install some helical steel rods across the crack to hold it all together. Google for Twistfix or Helifix

That looks like root damage, and it looks like a crack or dip across the adjacent path too. If there is someone else's tree nearby, then claim off them

no trees unfortunately, ive a few builders coming round to quote, ill maybe try that two companys and see what they say.

Thanks for your response, this wall has been like this for a few years, i dont think it has moved much recently, im not keen on a rebuild as that would cost more than i can afford. I just want to try and stop it moving anymore if possible, how could i check how much it moves?

The ideal way is to have it surveyed. However, I think at this moment in time you could get away with a cruder method, but the results will depend wholely on your ability to measure accurately.

The surface of the wall is rough so you need a few reference points in pairs. one high one low. One idea may be to drill a small hole and epoxy a galvanised nail into place with the head a little proud of the surface. With each pair of nail heads positioned along the wall at various points the pair will be one obove the other. Invest in a decent spirit level not less than 1m long, (the longer the better certainly). It needs to touch the top and bottom of each pair of reference points (distance apart to suit your level). You then need to record accurately the amount the wall is out of plumb on each pair. Do it a number of times on each pair to check you get the same answer each time. Ideally have some-one hold the level on the upper reference while you swing out the bottom of the level and measure how much out of plumb it is. Once you are happy you get the same answer every time, record it and date it. Always use the level both ways round to ensure the bubble has been set accurately, i.e. use one face then the other.

You then need to repeat the measuring excercise every two or three months. If the wall continues to rotate out of plumb you are going to start noticing it on your results.

Woody has highlighted a fairly standard way to repair the current crack. I am not convinced it will in any way stop future movement. It will however allow you to tidy up the appearance of the wall. So if it is no longer moving that would be fine.

We fixed one silmilar to that a few months back like this.....
sbbraceframe.jpg

The frost in January had given it one final massive heave and was leaning about 150mm. It was trying to hold a 20 foot sloped embankment back.
It ain't going no where now though with 80 tons of reinforced concrete poured down the face and about another 35 ton in the foundation. :mrgreen:

had a builder round today, he agreed with the idea the retaining wall wasnt built properly as he built the house across the lane and said its been this way for at least 4 years so hasnt moved much in the last 4 years, so he said rebuild the front part (the worst part) and build 3 buttresses to try and stem the movement of the other parts. its 3 inch out of plumb at the worst part, so im just waiting for the quote now.
I have a couple of other builders coming as well to quote, i also have helifix coming on Tuesday as well.
Ill see how it goes.

Finally solved it, the wall wasnt built to spec, i visited the local council planning office and found a structural engineers drawing for the wall. it had to be built at 330mm underneath driveway level and stepped in to 215 above ground, i measured last night and above is only 160-165 so a 150mm block as opposed to the 215mm on the engineers drawing. So the wall wasnt built to spec, seems strange the original owner went to the hassle of arranging the engineer, yet ignored their instriuction.

also hard to believe the completion certificate was given by the council at the time.

A cost saving exercise i suspect!! :evil:

anyone know how much blocks i will need for this job, 6 pillars at equal distances along the wall, all about 1.8m high, first two slightly smaller, unsure how far out to take the pillars so again looking for advice on this also.
thanks in advance

Finally was fixed, managed to get surveyor to accept blame for not picking it up in the homebuyers report, gave a settlement figure, knew the issue was incorrect construction so buttresses all along now to support wall and revamped kitchen with the change :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back