My wood is sticky

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted another thread here about a piece of wood I bought to use as a desk top table. It is to sit on top of two sets of drawers and to use for a computer station.

It came with a light base coat of danish oil. I have since applied 3 coats more and I've got the desired look - dark, glossy and modern.

The only issue is it feels slightly sticky. It's only been about 15-16 hours since the final coat so maybe it's still settling?

I'm just asking in case this is an issue that I will have to tackle at some point.

Since applying the coats I realised the one thing I didn't do was wipe of excess oil.

I Just applied the oil and left to dry.

Have you experienced this before?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Too much oil, essential to wipe off excess. Needs cleaning with a mild degreaser.

Too much oil, essential to wipe off excess. Needs cleaning with a mild degreaser.

Thanks just to be clear is this something I can resolve now - eg can I de grease it or is it a case of having to sand the top layer off... re apply and this time remove the excess?

Sponsored Links
Alternatively, leave it another day, add another coat, and wipe that off properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back