Myson Apollo 50B problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know very similar problems with Myson Apollo boilers have been discussed on here before but I'm still not sure what to do.

I moved into a house with a Myson Apollo 50B in the loft just over 2 years ago and straight away I took out British Gas HomeCare cover which included boiler cover and an annual boiler service (the previous owner also had this cover). I think the boiler had already been serviced shortly before I moved in so it wasn't until the summer that the boiler was serviced again. When it was serviced I mentioned that the pilot light went out every couple of days or so and asked if this was because it was draughty in the loft. I was told that was probably the reason and thought no more of it. The next winter the pilot light went out every couple of days or so again and once again I mentioned this to the engineer when the boiler was serviced last summer. Anyway the engineer for the second service was in a bad mood and very unhelpful generally (complete opposite to the engineer the previous year) so despite the minor issue of the pilot light going out every couple of days or so (sometimes would go a week or two without going out) I decided to cancel the British Gas HomeCare cover. I had planned to add Home Emergency cover to my home insurance instead but unfortunately I didn't get around to doing this and this winter the boiler has been going off every couple of hours when in use and relighting the pilot has become more tricky (sometimes starts on the first or second attempt but occasionally I've given up after 10 or so attempts - pilot is on until thumb is removed from the gas valve button after igniting).

I'm assuming I need to call out an engineer but any advice about what the problem is might be would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any replies...

Stu

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I know very similar problems with Myson Apollo boilers have been discussed on here before but I'm still not sure what to do.

I moved into a house with a Myson Apollo 50B in the loft just over 2 years ago and straight away I took out British Gas HomeCare cover which included boiler cover and an annual boiler service (the previous owner also had this cover). I think the boiler had already been serviced shortly before I moved in so it wasn't until the summer that the boiler was serviced again. When it was serviced I mentioned that the pilot light went out every couple of days or so and asked if this was because it was draughty in the loft. I was told that was probably the reason and thought no more of it. The next winter the pilot light went out every couple of days or so again and once again I mentioned this to the engineer when the boiler was serviced last summer. Anyway the engineer for the second service was in a bad mood and very unhelpful generally (complete opposite to the engineer the previous year) so despite the minor issue of the pilot light going out every couple of days or so (sometimes would go a week or two without going out) I decided to cancel the British Gas HomeCare cover. I had planned to add Home Emergency cover to my home insurance instead but unfortunately I didn't get around to doing this and this winter the boiler has been going off every couple of hours when in use and relighting the pilot has become more tricky (sometimes starts on the first or second attempt but occasionally I've given up after 10 or so attempts - pilot is on until thumb is removed from the gas valve button after igniting).

I'm assuming I need to call out an engineer but any advice about what the problem is might be would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any replies...

Stu

A great wee boiler in its day Stu, but a bit past it's sell by date now. So it's maybe time to think about a new boiler. However, the pilot on these have an interceptor that trips the pilot, this is a high temperature cut-out feature, but the sensor & wire can cause pilot outage on occasion. My guess this maybe your problem or maybe high temperature cutout, these boilers are low water content units so good circulation essential. Regardless, you may get a RGI to nurse it through the Winter, but it needs replaced very soon. Sorry if that's bad news, but I hope that helps.

Thanks for the quick reply and helpful information. I don't like the sound of possibly having to replace the boiler but I knew it was old when I moved in so it won't be much of a shock if it has to go sooner rather than later and whatever happens I'll make it through the last bit of winter which will give me a chance to get some money together for a new boiler before next winter. I'll get an RGI to take a look early next month when I've been paid. Until then I'll try a few different things just in case they make a difference. I've nearly finished lining the roof of the loft (have just nailed some breathable membrane) to the inside of the rafters to reduce the draughts a bit which could be putting out the pilot light. I've also tried setting the boiler thermostat to low tonight as I read that might help somewhere!

Nothing to do with a draught in your loft! An ancient boiler that will need a decent service.

Sponsored Links
Nothing to do with a draught in your loft! An ancient boiler that will need a decent service.

G2A is quite right, the pilot outage has nothing to do with a draught, that's BS from the COPs(cowboys in polo shirts that work for BG). Don't fiddle with your own boiler, you need a RGI PDQ.

Your problem has absolutely nothing to do with draughts in your loft, if turning the selector switch to low does indeed have an influence over how often your pilot goes out then you have a circulation problem in any event you need an RGI to sort this out

Thanks for the replies. The heating stayed on all night after the pilot was re-lit at 8pm and the boiler thermostat set to low instead of high. It hasn't stayed on for more than a few hours this winter (has always been set to high) so it looks like setting it to low has made a difference and from what's been suggested this means there might be a circulation issue. I will see how it does on low over the next few days but even if it's a lot better I will call someone out to take a look early next month. I would never try and have a look myself especially as I have no idea how these things work.

If it turns out to be a circulation issue hopefully that won't be too expensive to fix (guess it depends on the extent of the problem)?

If the problem is resolved the boiler will obviosuly need servicing fairly regularly (presumably just before each winter) if it's to last a bit longer (another couple of years would be nice!). Would anyone recommend that I take out British Gas HomeCare cover again or should I just get the boiler serviced once a year independently (i.e. not through Britich Gas or some sort of insurance plan)?

As opposed to circulation issue on one of these it is more likely the hi stat has gone out of calibration and allowing the boiler to get to hot and overheat stat is doing what its meant to .
Pump over run stats on these are also tempremental and drop the pilot out but this would show on hi and lo

As opposed to circulation issue on one of these it is more likely the hi stat has gone out of calibration and allowing the boiler to get to hot and overheat stat is doing what its meant to .
Pump over run stats on these are also tempremental and drop the pilot out but this would show on hi and lo

I agree with gas112, but given the appliance is in the attic, it maybe kettling & you're not hearing it, then it'll kill the pilot on the high limit stat. It was common to replace the hi & lo stat on these as a matter of course. The other consideration; as I stated, its a low water content appliance, so circulation & the bypass valve adjustment can be a factor also.

As I stated also, the boiler is past it's sell by date, could have a variety of internal & system faults, so it's time to replace it.

Welcome to my old friend Richard III.

I heard that you were recently dug up from a car park in Leicester!

Tony

Welcome to my old friend Richard III.

I heard that you were recently dug up from a car park in Leicester!

Tony

Yes Tony & I had a Brommy accent too!!

Though, you're more likely to find me in the extensive grounds of Puller Towers..... :eek: ;)

had a look at a 15/30 tonight on the way home
same problem, the pilot drops out on an irregular basis.the top hat was sending a resonable flame to the burner rail but the flame to the t/c was not happening, a bit hit and miss
and trying to adjust the pilot on the gas valve was making no difference
when it did light it purred along nicely, then i could hear the wind outside gusting and off she went again
the spark would also jump over to the bottom of the t/c nut,decent gap as well, 3/8 ths of an inch
happy days

had a look at a 15/30 tonight on the way home
same problem, the pilot drops out on an irregular basis.the top hat was sending a resonable flame to the burner rail but the flame to the t/c was not happening, a bit hit and miss
and trying to adjust the pilot on the gas valve was making no difference
when it did light it purred along nicely, then i could hear the wind outside gusting and off she went again
the spark would also jump over to the bottom of the t/c nut,decent gap as well, 3/8 ths of an inch
happy days

Pilot inject will be full of Eatha Kitt, you could replace that? But the boiler needs replaced anyway, why should the punter spend good money on an old boiler, that'll have even more Eartha in the heat exchanger??!!! Doesn't make sense!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back