Myson boiler pilot light goes straight off

Gar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone out there can help.
I have a myson midas combi boiler, the pilot light wont stay alight. I have changed the thermocouple twice to make sure it was not that. As soon as I release the grey button after 1st starting the pilot light, it goes straight off. Any help on this would be great.
Cheers!

Sponsored Links
bunged up pilot injector, knackked gas valve, incorrectly fitted TC twice!

how long are you holding the button in?, is the pilot flame heating the thermocouple when you are holding it in?

I have tried holding it in for a few seconds up to a couple of minutes, It gets red hot but wont stay lit :cry: I am lost what to do..The TC is deffinitly installd correctly..have got a corgi engineer coming tomorrow to have a look for me, but at £69 / hour...would be good if anyone else had any ideas?! Some that I could do myself...cheers for the replies to date!

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.

How would I check the connection on the high limit stat?

are the gas valves easy to replace or should I leave it to the corgi engineer?

ok, engineer been...asked me what he was meant to do with teh boiler as it was so old! said he could install a new one for £995 for me! cheers! poked around, i mentioned teh gas valve may be gone and he said then instantly agreed and offered me one at £193 plus labour to install it. He was here for 3 mins literaly and charged me £69! oh well..u live and learn, and he was meant to be corgi registerred! anyone know where I can get teh gas valves from? have a go myself....jeez...is it cold here again today :cry:

I managed to get the pilot light to stay on briefly, and in that time, the gas was tempermental when trying to get teh central heating going..then tehre was a click and it all went out again. have managed to get teh pilot back on briefly but there seems to be a 'click' when it goes out now.. any ideas would be greatfully received...especially if they work! ;)

it will be the pilot solenoid on the gas valve and if there is anything you don't want to be doing yourself the this job is it.....don't even let it wander though your mind.What did you pay £69 for?, for you to tell him the fault??.
Gas valve costs about £70 plus an hour or two labour.

dont ask me about the cash i paid...not happy...

the guy said the price of the gas valve would be £193!! plus labour at £69/hour..hmmm...

the solenoid taht you say is gone...does that come included with th whole gas valve? Or are they 2 seperate components? If they are seperate would it be the solenoid or teh gas valve, reason I ask is that when the pilot light is on, sometimes the gas will flow and heat the water, but only for a few seconds and the gas flow will stop!

That is a joke to be honest, this guy is saying around 400 in total to replace a gas valve :eek: The boiler replacement price sounds ok but tbh I wouldn't let the guy anywhere near my house. I know British Gas would do it for 200 ish, or if you have any sort of connection with BG like bills etc I think you may get it done for a fixed price around 130. Or maybe try a recommendation from a local plumbing and heating merchant.

Thanks for the support everyone! ;)

I have been told that I can get a gas valve locally for about £45 - are they difficult to install myself then? You mentioned the solenoid earlier too as it clicks, does it all come as one part or would I have to get both seperatly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back