Myson (Thorn) Apollo Fanfare 30/50 si flue

Hi,

Thanks for the information.

A self employed builder would typically ask for about £150/day. Out of this he would have to supply a van, tools, phone, supply quotes etc etc (my brother is a builder). It just seems that about £800/ day is quite high.
My local garage charges £40/hr. Out of this he has to pay for the garage itself, loads of tools, admin staff etc etc.

I know that heating engineers have to go through a fair amount of training and have various overheads and deserve a good wage but other very very skilled and highly trained people earn alot less.

(only joking :D )

Paul

Well if it makes you feel any better things do seem to be changing as in the economic thing is definately having an impact, certainly where I am which is now over-saturated with tradesman.

I priced a job the other day after which the purchaser happily informed me that I'm " on a shortlist with 20 other firms" for the work which is a bog standard heating install. She then informed me further that she has " another two firms coming into quote" after which time she will make her decision.

Only light relief for me was the fact that one of those firms was BG :LOL:

Sponsored Links
hmm, kind of surprised by the usual suspects on here (at least one of whom i respect) are condemning a boiler from a computer chair.

the old apollo can go quite well with a holed inner flue. ive seen many with a pretty ragged inner duct give a near perfect FGA reading and plenty more give an awful one. most apollos give a bad FGA reading due to its propensity to clog the H/E and that happens whether the flue is goosed or not. a good clean of the H/E isnt a particularly nice job but not difficult.

before you dive into a replacement boiler i would look to get an assessment of its true condition and then a few prices for getting the flue replaced. its a caker to replace the outer section in most cases and shouldnt cost the earth.

the old apollo can go quite well with a holed inner flue. ive seen many with a pretty ragged inner duct give a near perfect FGA reading and plenty more give an awful one. most apollos give a bad FGA reading due to its propensity to clog the H/E and that happens whether the flue is goosed or not. a good clean of the H/E isnt a particularly nice job but not difficult.

I thought you worked for BG who are apparently very strict on anything with any safety relevance. Its also a business opportunity to sell a new BG boiler instal !

I would find it difficult to imagine that you used anything other than total AR ( or ID ) classification on any corrosion of the inner tube you encounter whilst at work.

I suspect the reality of the situation is that the design draws in a great excess of combustion air compared with whats actually needed to burn.

Tony

nickso";p="1338068 said:
hmm, kind of surprised by the usual suspects on here (at least one of whom i respect) are condemning a boiler from a computer chair.

That must be Dangerous Mouse then!

Sponsored Links

I thought you worked for BG who are apparently very strict on anything with any safety relevance. Its also a business opportunity to sell a new BG boiler instal !

I would find it difficult to imagine that you used anything other than total AR ( or ID ) classification on any corrosion of the inner tube you encounter whilst at work.

I suspect the reality of the situation is that the design draws in a great excess of combustion air compared with whats actually needed to burn.

Tony

yet again glazier your thoughts are pretty irrelevant and your half arsed baiting is getting tiresome again.

the classification, IMO, is going to rely entirely on the FGA reading. as i said above ive seen plenty giving perfect readings leaving me no reason to panic into a stupid but well meant decision.

im not really concerned with the design attributes, it either works or it doesnt.

Agile";p="1338179 said:
nickso";p="1338068 said:

That must be Dangerous Mouse then!

its not him and its certainly not a chump like you.

the classification, IMO, is going to rely entirely on the FGA reading. as i said above ive seen plenty giving perfect readings leaving me no reason to panic into a stupid but well meant decision.

If you had seen that the inner tube of a flue was holed then I dont think your employers would expect you to leave it working!

Tony

If you had seen that the inner tube of a flue was holed then I dont think your employers would expect you to leave it working!

Tony

you are doing to much thinking again. read what i wrote.

i'd use my head and make a sensible decision. what "they" think is irrelevant.

I might make a "sensible decision" but I would not expect anyone working for BG to have that luxury.

Even so, I would only do it if there was some way that I could make sure they did not just forget it. That might be by paying me in advance to come and inspect it again after a few months when I could reassess it.

I have seen many BG turn offs of negative case boilers like the Suprima when there is a small hole or even just casing corrosion following a small leak from the connections.

I consider that as far less potentially dangerous that a coaxial flue leaking from the inner and allowing the POC to recirculate.

Tony

I might make a "sensible decision" but I would not expect anyone working for BG to have that luxury.

christ, do i actually have to do this?

what "luxury" does a BG operative have that you dont?

Even so, I would only do it if there was some way that I could make sure they did not just forget it. That might be by paying me in advance to come and inspect it again after a few months when I could reassess it.

my decision is recorded on the system, much the same as i imagine your decision is on some manner of glazier paper trail. what the customer decides to do after my very sage advice is up to them and i make it very clear to them that it is their decision, i even write it on the bit of paper they get.

I have seen many BG turn offs of negative case boilers like the Suprima when there is a small hole or even just casing corrosion following a small leak from the connections

that is entirely the decision of the bloke that was there, i have little comment on the safety of boilers in another county.

I consider that as far less potentially dangerous that a coaxial flue leaking from the inner and allowing the POC to recirculate.

again, for the dimmer pupils in the class, if a flue is holed and it is not allowing the POC to "recirculate" to the extent that it effects combustion but is left "AR" where is the harm in the short term?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back