Mystery cold radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have 5 radiators in the house. Just recently the radiators in the bathroom and the dining are cold when the ch is on. I have bled the radiators. Turning off the working radiators forces the cold ones to work. I can then turn the other radiators back on and the whole set up is working. However, the next day after the heating has been off all night, the 2 problem radiators are cold again. Don't know what to do now. The bathroom radiator is a vertical towel rail and is the only one that has a temperature controlled valve that is working correctly. Can anyone shed any light on what I can do please???

Sponsored Links
Basically you turn the lockshield valves on the radiators off, and then on a bit - often one turn is quite enough.
This forces the hot water through the radiators that are struggling, as water always likes to take the easiest route around a system.....hence closing the lockshields provides a restriction.
John :)

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Plumbing:faq2
I bet you haven't got pipe thermometers. You can get a reasonable approximation: the flow pipe should be "too hot to hold" and the return pipe should be "too hot to hold for long"

But John, is that with or without PPE gloves ? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back