Mystery oil problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Checked the oil on the wife's Peugeot106XR.(88k). Noticed that the oil on the dipstick was very thick and sticky and decided to investigate and do an oil and filter change. Before draining did a warm up drive; the "oil" that came out of the drain plug was almost gel-like in consistency. Rather than pouring out of the sump it was dropping out and I was not convinced that all of it had drained out as it was so thick.
Put in fresh oil plus some Wynn's flush and ran the engine 15 minutes Drained again and still one or two gelatinous gloops came out. More fresh oil plus another can of Wynn's and 15 minutes fast tickover. This time the stuff that drained looked normal, the blobs having dispersed. Replaced filter and put in fresh oil.
I tend to believe that what caused the problem was mixing two different brands of oil. At the last change Halfords semi-synth was used. I have been topping up with Comma semi-synth which is what I use in my motor. Has anyone else experienced problems like this when oils are mixed? I've been driving since 1953 and have never seen it. :?:

Sponsored Links
Never seen this problem before - so long as the oil hasn't been in the sump for 80k miles - or been seriously overheated! Normal car oils mix perfectly well, but naturally if you add a low spec oil to a high spec one, the end specification grade is still low. Its probably worth doing another oil and filter change before too long and see what happens. Cheers John

Sponsored Links
About 3 months and 3000 miles. The oil was amber coloured and really sticky between the fingers. Another clue was that it took 10 seconds or so for the oil light to go out. However there does not seem to have been any damage to the engine.

Back