Peugeot Boxer Gearbox Oil Level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I have just put a new clutch in my Boxer, ie a '98 1.9 litre non turbo. Having drained the box prior to removal I now need to refill level. The problem being - the Russeks manual states that my box has a dipstick in the diff housing near the speedo cable entry. However, it doesn't. So how does one set the level? Manual says capacity is 1.8 litres, as did my motor factor supplier of the oil. But only about 1 litre total came out of both drain plugs (there are two, one for the box, one for the diff) I don't want to over fill so in the meantime I am just replacing the litre that came out. Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
Some of the older van boxes had a dipstick, but as with the car boxes, drain completely and refill with the specified amount. Just check you have oil in the differential. If you have no level plug, loosen the drain plug after an hour or so, it should be dripping?

If you had no leaks you should be OK, if any of the shaft seals are weeping, you may need to top up?

Thanks for your quick response Mursal. Having had a rethink and a good look, I now think that what I assumed to be the gearbox drain plug is actually the filling hole. (It's at the side, although quite low and with hindsight, no oil actually came out of it.) And that contrary to Russeks instructions there is actually only one drain plug on the bottom of the diff. Russeks said to fill via the reverse light switch. Now the vehicle is off the axle stands I've just removed the diff plug and got another 1/4 litreish out, so I'm going to fill it via the front plug, if you get my meaning. I'll see how much it takes before seeping out. Hopefully about 1.8l! Thanks again.

Ok, I've done as said. 1.8 litres through the gearbox plug wasn't enough to start coming back out but more importantly I've run the van around and am pleased that the driveshaft seals, which I didn't bother renewing are not weeping. I would think this would be the first point of leakage if overfilled. so fingers crossed. :)

ETA - nice to have a biting clutch again! The job's only taken about three weeks thanks to this bloody weather.... :rolleyes: Thanks for all advice.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the clutch is important ............. :)

Back