Gearbox Leak Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a leak on the gearbox of my 2004 Fiat Scudo 2.0 Jtd van for a while now. Thought it was o/side driveshaft seal, but had it replaced and just as bad. Took to another garage for 2nd opinion and he says not driveshafts, it's elsewhere on gearbox - poss input shaft.

The mechanic recommended to just leave the leak, but I wonder if this is wise. I had new clutch, DMF and clutch guide tube/deal one a year ago. Maybe guide tube wasn't installed properly - is this likely?

The gearbox is fairly wet underneath, but the mechanic said it probably looks worse than it is as a small amount of oil can travel over a wide area. As a guide to how much it's leaking, if I wipe the bottom of the bell housing, then drive van for half an hour, it's wet again with oil. It doesn't drip oil on drive where parked.

Unfortunately there's no level plug on these, so only way of knowing if correct amount of oil is in box is to drain it out and put in the correct amount.

Is this problem something to worry about? Thinking that after paying for new clutch, etc the oil may get onto it and ruin it. Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is this problem something to worry about? Thinking that after paying for new clutch, etc the oil may get onto it and ruin it. Any advice appreciated.

Clutch plates are cheap, compared to the cost of the labour and if the engine is split from the gearbox, it is always worthwhile to replace. Yes, I would leave it and let develop, try to track down where it coming from exactly. It might be from the drain at the bottom of the bell housing, in which case it's either input shaft, or engine oil seal failing, oil colour might provide a clue. My gearbox oil is red, diesel engine oil will be black after a few miles. Engine level is easy to keep an eye on via dipstick. My gearbox has a fill/level plug and a drain plug. Just fill until it overflows.

Clutch plates are cheap, compared to the cost of the labour and if the engine is split from the gearbox, it is always worthwhile to replace. Yes, I would leave it and let develop, try to track down where it coming from exactly. It might be from the drain at the bottom of the bell housing, in which case it's either input shaft, or engine oil seal failing, oil colour might provide a clue. My gearbox oil is red, diesel engine oil will be black after a few miles. Engine level is easy to keep an eye on via dipstick. My gearbox has a fill/level plug and a drain plug. Just fill until it overflows.

Thanks Harry. Yes, poss makes sense on an older/low value vehicle to see what happens. If it gets worse and starts dripping on ground may have to think again. If it stays as it is, I might change the oil in the spring, then change it again few months later to see how much is being lost over time. Right pain having no level plug.

It's definitely gearbox oil, it's clean red and has the distinctive gearbox oil smell. Touch wood, the engine is completely oil tight and doesn't burn any either. Change oil and filter every 5,000ish miles and the level doesn't drop between changes. Not bad for 105,000 miles engine. It's the old Peugeot/Citroen HDi engine, so good for another 150,000 miles.

I did start stressing and rashly started looking at newer vans on Auto Trader. They want up to £6,000 or £7,000 for 10 year old vans. :eek: As mine is really tidy and cared for, even if the box went bang I would have to consider a recon box rather than the silly prices of another van.

Last edited:
Gearbox oil isnt typically red, it's sort of honey coloured, like engine oil.

Power steering fluid on the other hand is red...

Is this the old 2.0 8v Hdi? I have one of those in the household, coming up to 200k, runs like new. Great engines.

Sponsored Links
Gearbox oil isnt typically red, it's sort of honey coloured, like engine oil.

Power steering fluid on the other hand is red...

Is this the old 2.0 8v Hdi? I have one of those in the household, coming up to 200k, runs like new. Great engines.

Think you may be right about colour. Poss it picked up a bit of dirt and me being red/green colour blind may have confused the issue. Definitely gearbox oil though, no doubt. Too clean for engine oil and no leaks from slave cylinder. Gearbox oil is part Millers TRX 75W80, part some cheap Czech stuff I threw in on my travels to top up a bit.

Yes, old 2.0 Hdi. Just over 100K, so just run in.

Sponsored Links
Back