OIL CHANGE

MBE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just replaced the oil on my DI-D Mitsubishi Pajero (Shogun) and wonder if I've actually put enough replacement oil in?

The dipstick is of such a useless design that no matter how many times I clean it to try and take a reading it comes out with oil showing all the way along the first 3-4 inches! I'm guessing it's picking oil up from the dipstick shaft somehow - which is making readings useless.

When I drained the car it gave me 7 litres of used oil.

The user manual states the following capacities;
Oil Pan - 7.5 litres
Oil Cooler - 1.3 litres
Oil Filter - 1 litre

As I didn't change the oil filter at the same time I've put 7.5 litres of new oil in the car - I guess my question is would the 7 litres of used oil have included the oil cooler capacity or is this only emptied under pressure somehow? If it included the oil cooler I've obviously got to add 1.3 litres more.

...and I thought this was such a simple job when I started :LOL:

Sponsored Links
With regard to whether the oil cooler disgorges oil at an engine oil change, either phone your local dealer and ask or borrow a Haynes Manual from your local library.
You mention that the dipstick design is naff - but what did you rely on before the oil change ? Did it read OK ? If so then run the engine enough to get the new oil warm, turn it off and then let it stand for a while - then recheck the oil level.
IF the oil level was OK BEFORE the change and only 7 litres came out but you put back 7.5 litres then (a) it looks like the oil cooler doesn't drain with the engine oil and (b) you've put in too much hence the high reading on the dipstick.

Do let us all know how this is resolved.
Best Regards

Personally I'd stick with a spanner. Less chance of it getting knocked or deliberately tampered with. The difference in time is pretty small.

Sponsored Links
I think John Beem is Jim Beam`s cousin - doin a bit of advertising :mrgreen: he probably knows Johnny Walker and Jack Daniel . It don`t look a bad idea tho` - it`s more to do with managing the flow of hot waste oil from the sump , than saving time :idea: That stuff can burn you , and give you cancer/dermatitis in your groin if you don`t launder your overalls frequently . That is a serious issue :(

Back