nail through gas pipe disaster!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have put a nail through a 22mm gas pipe under my floor boards!
i have lifted the floor boards and exsposed the pipe ready for repair,
if i call out a plumber...what it a reasonable charge to expect and am i able to claim from my contents or building insurance?????

Sponsored Links
get several quotes, and how do we know what your insurance company will / not pay out on?

Depends on whether you call out as an emergency or can you turn the gas off and wait?

i have turned the gas off so can wait...but im getting cold and smelly, this happened on saturday....would this be repaired with a compression fit???
i am in brighton!

Sponsored Links
'fraid how it's repaired is not your concern as you can't (shouldn't) do it. Ring around it should only be a quick job.

Eddie M said:
'fraid how it's repaired is not your concern as you can't (shouldn't) do it. Ring around it should only be a quick job.

Why not :LOL:

Until they change the law, which is unlikely DIY gas is not illegal if you are competent.

Fitting a compression connector and testing with soapy water for leaks is not rocket science.

You'll only be able to claim if you have "accidental damage" cover. Many people don't.
It's a quickish thing if access is OK so it's a normal non emergency call-out, whatever that costs in your area, probably £40 - £120. Assuming you've turned the gas off at the meter, that is.
Recently quoted similar over the phone, for central London, cos I didn't want to go, £160 at 8pm. "Lovely" came the reply, and they gave me a £20 tip for taking my slippers, and "is cash all right?".

doitall said:
Eddie M said:

Why not :LOL:

Until they change the law, which is unlikely DIY gas is not illegal if you are competent.

Fitting a compression connector and testing with soapy water for leaks is not rocket science.

Indeed not, you minx! you.

i have done a compression repair on a copper water pipe....which is why i am considering doing this...would a plumber charge £25 £50 £100 or more??? why is pushfit a no no with gas??

erictheking said:
i have done a compression repair on a copper water pipe....which is why i am considering doing this...would a plumber charge £25 £50 £100 or more??? why is pushfit a no no with gas??

Push fit is not an appropriate fitting.

What you need is a 22mm Conex 301 straight connector and a pot of jointing compound to smear around the olive and doitup tight.

Regs state compression fittings cannot be used where there is not immediate access i.e. under floorboards. Pushfit are a no go as they cannot be guaranteed to be gas tight.

Compression fittings are only permissable for gas if they are accessible and not under a floor!

Its unlikely that there would be enough space under the floor for the greated width of a compression.

Normal pushfit joints are not "approved" for use with gas and in any case the rubber seals would leak in a minor fire and allow the gas to escape.

The old solution was to do a solder repair on a small hole. That can be done on water pipes but not on gas because its not an "approved fitting".

The normal repair would be with a "slip" coupling soldered to the pipe. We would charge about £65 in the London area if the floor was already up and the pipe loose enough to use a pipe slice to cut it.

Tony

markthegas said:
Regs state compression fittings cannot be used where there is not immediate access i.e. under floorboards. Pushfit are a no go as they cannot be guaranteed to be gas tight.

It says nothing of the sorts.

Quote from Corgy essential gas safety handbook.

For these fittings, pipework must not be under strain, ends must be cut square and any burrs removed.

They should only be used in accessible positions where they can be tightened.
They should not be used under floors and in voids Without removable covers

A floorboard is classed as a removable.

Hmmm - streching the point a bit. I'm sure easy removable does not extend to move furniture, carpets, get a hammer and crow bar if nailed or a screwdriver to remove the board.
I'm sure they must have had the questions wrong on the ACS exams then as it asked if you could put a compression fitting under a floorboard and I answered correctly as false.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back