Nasty cheapo transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody come across one of these "Franco Transfo" transformers before?

Horrible nasty thing to say the least.

Had to install some extra insulation on the secondary winding connections today (other side of transformer to the picture) as they were deemed to be unsafe by western power.

The way they were configured was just 10mm away from one of the main transformer chassis steel cross members.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 290
Sponsored Links
Pointless post without pics of the actual issue IMO.

I'm surprised WPD even allowed something like that to be connect to their HV network. Even with added insulation, it's not built to a conforming standard.

Secondary winding, 400v, 10mm.....

Sponsored Links
Pointless post without pics of the actual issue IMO.

I'm surprised WPD even allowed something like that to be connect to their HV network. Even with added insulation, it's not built to a conforming standard.

Secondary winding, 400v, 10mm.....

I wasn't asking about the insulation issue I was asking if anybody had come across the make of transformer before. hence why I didn't post any photos of the parts in question.

WPD say and we act upon their recommendations. We don't question their findings on an annual service visit unless it's blatantly obvious they are in the wrong. Plus, it's not their HV network. It's our own HV Network from our own power station. We just contract them (who in turn sub contract Schneider) to do our annual service visit.

"France Transfo" is part of Schnieder. I would guess they purchased the company, as it's not their kind of standard.

In the UK, it is usual to have oil cooled or potted transformers, your one looks odd.

"France Transfo" is part of Schnieder. I would guess they purchased the company, as it's not their kind of standard.

In the UK, it is usual to have oil cooled or potted transformers, your one looks odd.

Agreed. We have three transformers altogether and the other two, whilst also air cooled with a similar design, are just miles apart on quality.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 161

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back