Natural gas detector?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a natural gas detector available for domestic use? Friend's elderly mum is absent-minded rather than suffering from dementia etc. but occasionally leaves the gas hob unlit, causing gas to escape. Is it possible to fit a device to the hob so that this can't happen anyway? Or are there new hobs now that have such devices as standard that could be fitted? Ironically, she has a shiny new (plug-in) electric oven beneath it but my pal doesn't think that her electrics would be up to having an electric hob too.

Sponsored Links
All new hobs have a built in safety device to stop this happening, so new hob is the way to go.

As above, new hobs have thermocouples that will only allow the gas out if the flame is lit. It will not be possible to accidentally leave the gas pouring out.

Ah right - I'll tell him. Is the swap over a simple job or does it depend on the make/size of the original one? I'm guessing there's a standard size, although I get the impression that it's quite old. I'll try to get some pictures/measurements over the weekend. Needs a GS engineer too, I expect.

Sponsored Links
Find out the make and model of the hob, might already have it? Depending on the type, some has is allowed to come through before the flame failure/supervision device kicks in

I finally went round to his mum's house to measure up. Her hob is an AEG installed in 2008. Measures 50 by 58 cm. I should explain that he's not really into the internet so he's asked me to have a look online. There are a lot that measure 51 by 59.5 or 50 by 60 etc. Will the odd centimeter matter when it comes to fitting? (Sod's law, I found two with exactly the same measurements as hers but she doesn't like them!) They all seem to have flame failure now, which is the main criterion. Interestingly, she attends a memory clinic and they told her son that this happens a lot (leaving a burner on or not lighting it properly).

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back