Need a Driving licence but how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After moving home and telling DVLC of new address they informed me I have to apply for new photo license (I’ve got the old green one. )Problem is the photo has to be witnessed by somebody who knows you and is in a position of trust i.e. solicitor, doctor etc but having moved there is no one to witness it ?

Sponsored Links
Can you apply online using details stored at the passport office? I’m sure I did that (or was it the other way round)?

Can't you ask someone from old address area?

If not, Justice of the Peace is currently free.

If you sign up for doctor or dentist I'd ask there.
I think your bank can do it as well so go ask there tomorrow

Licencees are acceptable if they know you personally; established civil servants; prominent local citizens; business owners, councillors.

IIRC the forns says something like "persons of similar standing"

Some people ask an employer who is a local businessman.

I've had firms countersigned by a retired company secretary, by military officers, and have signed some myself.

I heard somewhere that it tends to be people who are recorded on a public register.

A person from your old town who knows you will do.

Sponsored Links
Licencees are acceptable if they know you personally; established civil servants; prominent local citizens; business owners, councillors.

I've had firms countersigned by a retired company secretary, by military officers, and have signed some myself.

I heard somewhere that it tends to be people who are recorded on a public register.

DVL states whoever signs photo must know me. No one local knows me as only moved a few months ago , I bank online and I am over 70 miles from previous home .

None of the above? Town councillor? Local government officer? Postmistress?

The solicitor you used to conveyance your new house, mortgage adviser or estate agent. If you go to church, your minister. Anyone from a past place of work that had some kind of responsibility. Your old accountant. If you have any social activity you engage in (gym, chess club, whatever) someone there of any kind of standing.. Even a librarian, butcher, baker, candlestick maker etc can sign; it's a pretty low bar, I can't believe you literally cannot think of a single person who knows you, and also who has a sliver of credibility

The govt advice also says you don't have to have your photo signed if you have authorised the DVLA to contact the passport office to verify your identity

Thinking outside the box
Hospital 'doctors even receptionist will remember you "knowing you " is subjective but iff you make people laugh or smile in your old area they may be happy to give you limited provenance but enough to satisfy your needs

DVL states whoever signs photo must know me.
Know you for what length of time? Can't you hire a solicitor? If you meet him for 5 minutes to pay the fees would that count as knowing you?

Long time ago when I was getting a passport, it needed some kind of signing. I drove around and found a random solicitor and she did it for £10.

I'm sure there are a few notable people (at least according to their posts ;) ) on this forum, who would gladly attest to 'knowing' you - Dork Lard perhaps???

Sponsored Links
Back