Need a new spirit level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to do some work yesterday .. and things were going wrong ... then found my trusty 1.2m Stabila Spirit level was about 5 degrees out on horizontal!
I have not dropped it ... not to say someone else hasn't

I have a 1.8m level that is good so continued the job .... but need a new 1.2m level.

Any recommendations ?
Needs are at least 0.5mm/m accuracy, double plumb bubbles, and all bubbles tight in the gates.
Milled face on one long edge.

Stanley Fat Max seems good ... around £30
Stabila do a vast range ... looked at just a few
70-2 £17
80 £27
83 £47
196 £72

Anybody any contenders.

Sponsored Links
I recently researched when buying a 1.8m one, and eventually decided on the FatMax, mostly because it looked like it could take a bit more of a beating than the Stabila, and it had nice handles for grabbing through.

Sponsored Links
Ahhhh... Fair enough.

When you decide on a replacement, think about one with adjustable bubbles. Then when (you drop it again) it gets dropped by someone, you can fix it.

Ahhhh... Fair enough.

When you decide on a replacement, think about one with adjustable bubbles. Then when (you drop it again) it gets dropped by someone, you can fix it.

Don't think you can get those on any of the 'better' levels .. they are set in at time of manufacture ...

What was it my Granddad used to say???

"Buy cheap, buy twice"

(I might have stolen that from someone else's Granddad)

For bricklaying we need wieldy levels i.e. the ones with a 50mm x 20mm profile. anything bigger or heavier is a pain after an hour or two building corners.

Got to have a plumbing bubble at each end and the horizontal vial must be on the top edge and not set into the body.

Easy to clean is important too.

I remember being sent for a replacement bubble to the store once, maybe you still get them ;) ...pinenot :D :D

rick weekend before last my mate wondered into b&q, like you do, and picked up 3 stabilas on an offer for £30. 5 foot, 4 foot and a 2 foot
these are not tradesman level but for the amount of times you use them,
might help you if they are still there

As you are trade, then take a look at the Stabila R-type levels. I've now got two. They are pretty much as rigid as the cast levels, are abvailable in longer sizes and weigh less, however they cost......

Yea and the box of buff sparks, left handed screwdrivers etc. but the one that tickled me was was the square hole drill. When I went home for lunch and spoke to my Dad. he got me to go back and ask the journeyman what size, as there were indeed such things in engineering. Mind you he didn't tell me that having to use the pattern shop pillar drill wound't quite work, having turned my journeyman's question on it's head I found, to my cost, it's not wise to be a smart alex...but I was learning...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back