need a second shower already have 1 electric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I already have 1 electric shower but need to install a second shower.I have a very low pressure shower also which I want to change to try to get a more powerful shower.I was told I cant have 2 electric showers.Is this correct if so is there and solution? :

Sponsored Links
Adding another powerful electric shower is likely to overload your electric supply as well; combined with questionable water supply, it is a bad idea.

Where I live, we have a 100 Amp main fuse at the entry to the main switch/consumer unit (which I believe is a common fit across UK [and Eire?]) This means that my home should not use more than 100 Amps continuously. The occasional surge above 100 Amps should not blow the fuse, but if I do it too much it will eventually blow - so I'm told.

If you have 2 powerful (40Amp) electric showers switched on at the same time you risk overloading your main fuse when other loads are in use, particulary heaters and the cooker.

AFAIK there is no law or code against 2 electric showers in the same house. Each must be on its own radial circuit with adequate protection.

The other answer is to have a pumped shower, which will be a lot more powerful than any electric shower, and easy on the electrical loading, but there are a few extra plumbing issues to be considered. This might be the answer you are looking for, because you do not need to replace your existing low pressure shower installation within the bath or cubicle. Most plumbing work can be done elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
thanks very much.The information is very helpful. :LOL:

thanks for your help. Can anybody advise if the following is a possible.

If I put a small pump say 2 bar pressure on the hot water output and then connected the cold supply to mains.Is this a practical solution

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back