Need advice fixing leak + where to buy large washer

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I took apart pipes under the kitchen sink.
The washing machine was still smelling after having cleaned thoroughly.

I put all pipes together and now get dripping water.
I took everything apart, can't see where the leak is coming from.
There is a large yellow washer that is broken.

I went to the local plumbing shop and the guy rummaged through his parts and said he couldn't find.

I was hoping someone can tell me where I can get?

See pic:

dPsXRwV.jpg

Aside: is there a general way of best identifying the source of the leak?
I've had leaking problems in the past at the same location... so am guessing this is definitely the cause.

ALSO: if there is gunge in the washing machine pipe... how best do I clean?
Taking out the washing machine is a mission. It'll take me a few hours start to finish!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
1. If that is your washing machine waste going into the left hand spigot on the trap (follow silver bit down, jus below first white nut, spigot for appliance waste attachment) it should come up to the level of the underside of the work top, then fall into the waste.
2. If removing the machine to clean the hose is a nuisance, you could try running the machine very hot with a washing machine cleaner added, and no clothes.
3. For spare washers, have a look at https://www.plumbers-mate-sales.co.uk/washers-for-plugs--wastes--fittings--traps-172-c.asp . That joint should have (top to bottom) - the white plastic nut, a washer made of hard plastic, a rubber washer with a cone profile. The narrow end of the cone goes into the lower pipe.

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
  • Thanks
Reactions: OM2
Thanks for the replies guys.

The part isn't on those links you gave.
I'll take apart and send a pic later.
It's about 1cm thick and normally hidden - I purposely left a bit showing to ask my question.

>> 1. If that is your washing machine waste going into the left hand spigot on the trap (follow silver bit down, jus
>> below first white nut, spigot for appliance waste attachment) it should come up to the level of the underside of
>> the work top, then fall into the waste.
Hmmm... the washing machine waste pipe is the dark silver/grey pipe at the back.
It definitely doesn't rise and then fall - it just goes downward from the washing machine.
I can definitely fix it so that we have the rising you mention.
I looked up loads on youtube and couldn't find this clearly mentioned (I was speed watching and skipping bits though).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back