Need advice installing transformers for LED bulbs

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I changed to LED light bulbs. I then found out I needed LED transformers.

I bought the transformers and went to change.
I saw a few videos on youtube and it seems simple swapping.

I went to change...
All the light bulbs are connected to one single transformer.
I assumed that every light bulb would have its own transformer

What do I do?
Can I leave the existing transformer in place and simple connect the new transofrmers I've got to every light bulb??

Thanks

OM

Sponsored Links
I changed to LED light bulbs. I then found out I needed LED transformers.
That's because you bought ones that do. Buy ones that don't.

What do I do?
Read the instructions.

Can I leave the existing transformer in place and simple connect the new transofrmers I've got to every light bulb??
Unlikely. Led 'transformers' are called 'drivers' and must match.

@EFLImpudence thanks for the reply
I can't find led bulbs that don't need a transformer

What search term should I be searching for?

Sponsored Links
I am assuming you looking a MR16 spot lights which were 12 volt.
1) In theroy a transformer should run LED's in the same way as it did quartz lamps, however some LED's will only work with DC so depends on LED.
2) An electronic transformer is often not suitable for use will LED's often there is a minimum output.
3) Be very careful buying a driver, in theroy a driver controls current and a power supply controls voltage but it seems lighting manufacturers mix and match the names so you will likely need one which states 12 volt.

Your not the first and likely will not be the last to get caught up with lighting manufactures names. The toroidal transformer is as the name suggests a simple transformer but the electronic transformer is a switched mode power supply which often have minimum output and can produce spikes which will not harm tungsten lamps but will harm LED.

An LED needs a consent current supply often around 320 mA and we used a driver for this. But a LED package often has the driver built into the package so the driver built into the package often needs a consent voltage supply. For some reason which I have never worked out some manufacturers call the power supply designed for a LED a driver even when it's not. So forget the name buy by description if LED says 12 volt look for 12 volt supply and if it says 320 mA look for a 320 mA driver.

I fitted 4 x 0.58W spot lights in my bathroom and they failed after 6 months I will guess they want a smooth DC supply and my toroidal transformer gives a AC supply so likely the peak voltage it too high. I am sure if I bought better quality they would work on 16 volt peak but few bulbs actually state the voltage range. This firm http://bedazzled.uk.com/12v_LED_Bulb_Replacement.htm is the only one I have found which actually states the range of voltage.

Sounds like you have 12 volt lamps, as long as the total wattage of all the lamps when added, is within the wattage range written on the 1 transformer you say does the lot, then technically connecting just the 12v lamps should be fine, however in real life they sometimes are not.
So check the wattage.
to fit driverless lamps you would need to change the lampholders to fit them.

Do not however connect the new drivers to the output of the existing transformer though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back