Need advice on what fitting i need for a stop tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a high level toilet cistern in the outside toilet that needs to be plumbed in so i was thinking of buying the copper pipe and pvc pipe and having a go myself but as i don't know much about plumbing i was wondering if someone could help me as i'm stuck at the first hurdle. The stop tap don't have a nut but it takes a 15mm pipe so i bought a 15mm x 1/2 inch tap connector and it won't fit as it's to small for the stop tap, so i was given a 15mm x 3/4 inch tap connector but the part that should fit inside the stop tap is to big so i was wondering what fitting do i need.

Sponsored Links
The stop tap looks the same but a 15mm nut is to small to fit on the stop tap.

Could you post a picture perhaps with a rule or tape measure next to it to give an idea of scale. One of the pro's on here will no doubt be able to identify the fitting.

Sponsored Links
If it's not 3/4" or 22mm and you say the 15mm pipe fits, then check the thread on the 15mm nut against the thread on the stop tap. Are they the same? :confused:

I'm unable to post a picture as my bluetooth adapter ain't working. I have measured the hole of the stop tap and it's about 16mm so a 15mm copper olive will fit inside the stop tap as the stop tap has no chamfered edge. If the tap connector that i was given is 15mm x 3/4 inch it's not going to fit as the part that goes into the stop tap is 18mm. I will see if my uncle has got a 22mm nut or 3/4 nut in his shed and i will report back later.

Sell the high level toilet - and particularly the lead flush pipe ;) Or if the cistern doesn`t work when you get water to it - I`ll sell you a replacement - High or low level :LOL: I`ve been collecting old bits to make a retro bog in my house . We all really need a picture - the stopcock could be any type - particularly a fine thread Prestex fitting - they can be a b`ger ;)

I will put a picture up tomorrow as i got my bluetooth working. The thread on the stop tap is 3/4 as a 3/4 garden tap hose pipe connector will fit.
[/b][/quote]

This is the best picture i could take. A 15mm olive will fit inside the tap and rest on the seat just above where you can see the water.
oitcwo.jpg

Would agree with Nige F. Maybe the origional pipe burst in winter with it being and outside loo. Have you had a good look around the garden, shed, attic etc, the old bit with the other half of the union might still be lying around. Long shot but worth a look.

I have had a look around and the old pipe ain't anywhere so i was going to pop in b&q to see if they sell 15mm x 3/4" soldering ring straight tap connecters so i can measure the part that fits in the tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back