Need Fireproof Wall in Loft between me and neighbours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have a large diamond shape hole in the loft wall which allows access into my neighbours loft and vice versa. I believe these are very common in old terraced houses.

I want to cover it using Fireline plasterboard on my side and the neighbours side.

I know I could brick it but I think it will need 80 Breeze blocks. It is a big hole!!

My question is:

1) What can I mount the plasterboard onto to meet regs. I take it wooden studs are a no?

2) I also read on another forum that the boards need to be taped and skimmed to meet regs. Is this true or will simply mounting them be sufficient?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ok I may have miscalculated! Nonetheless it is a large opening.

What can I mount the plasterboard onto. Will 3 x 2 scant be ok.

Does the board then need skimming?

i normally hoik up some light weight blocks and use them for the fire break. smaller units are more portable. ;)

plasterboard and stud is ok too, though you will need to use 12.5mm skimmed to achieve a decent rating.

Sponsored Links
You can confirm with your local building regs department in the local council regarding the specs for the wall. I did mine ten years ago and was told each plasterboard will withstand 15mins of fire. I needed to use two layers on each side to provide 30minutes of protection from fire from both my house and the neighbours. built it onto a 2 by 3 stud. check with build regs though this info was given to me a decade ago. Good luck.

Hi, thanks for the replies so far. From what I understand, I'd have to use two 12.5mm layers of standard plasterboard OR 1 layer of 15mm Fireline.

So all I need an answer to is.....Do the boards need skimming to be cleared as safe or will bare boards on studs suffice?

I'm considering a change of plan.

Does anyone know where I can get "Rockwool Fire Barrier" from and it's approximate price for standard 50mm width by 4metre length roll.

Thanks

For the exact product you need to get, have a look at the link bellow and then open the technical data sheet for full instructions, just remember to seal up any gaps or you're wasting your time! If you print it out and take it along to your local Jewsons or other decent building supplier the should be able to sort you out with everything you need. I would think you'd get the lot for no more than say £40 or so.

http://www.rockwool.co.uk/sw55784.asp

Hope that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back