Need Help/Advice on building a stud wall in my garage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, I'm going to be building a stud wall in my garage.

Its going to have a door in the middle & its going to be the sizes shown below in the drawing I mocked up below.

Dimensions of drawing is CM
Timber is going to be 3" x 2" (unless told otherwise!)

Firstly, what’s the best way to mount the Sole plate(s) (into concrete) & the Side studs (into Breeze Block). I was thinking of using plugs & screws - is this the best way?
Secondly, regarding the door. Because I've never built a stud wall, I'm unsure of the procedure. I'm guessing that the door frame goes on before the plasterboard? Then the plasterboard butts up against the frame.
Will it be ok to use a normal door (non fire door). My current door leading into the garage is a heavy fire door. So as long as I've still got that in place, the new door in the garage can be the same as the other doors within my house?
Also, the door leading into the garage has a frame all the way around, including the base (see attached picture). Would it be worthwhile to do the same with the door in the new stud wall? As I believe this will help prevent draughts.

Thirdly, would adding insulation in between the plaster board really help keeping the heat in as I'm going to be using the new sectioned off area as a study. Or will I be wasting my time/money?

Cheers guys.
All feedback is always appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Fixing the sole plate with plugs and screws is the usual proceedure but be careful not to go too deep as if you have a damp proof membrane under the concrete the last thing you want to do is puncture it. I would only use 4" fixings at most as the slab would be at least 2" thick if done correctly and you shouldn't threaten any DPM with them. I would also be inclined to lay the sole plate on a new line of DPM just to give a barrier between the floor and new wall as you are using plasterboard which will 'drink' any spills or leaks if not protected at the base. The door proceedure is as you thought and you can use any door you like , with or without the cill, but personally I would go without the cill and just fit a brush strip draught excluder to the door. Also fitting insulation while you can is always a good idea and will make a noticeable difference in keeping the room warm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back