need help!...any ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, got to remove a bedroom wall and just been into the loft and seen it goes all the way up and supports what i think is a purling...a long piece of timber that runs left to right NOT front to back of the house, its only 2 feet off the truss and sits on a single skin 2 brick pillar. it is tied into the wall 1 end and sits on this pillar at the other, can i put a piece of timber say across 3 trusses then prop it solid will some more timber then remove the wall, or do i need to find a way to r.s.j it, the r.s.j way is a last resort

Sponsored Links
By the sounds of your description it will more then likely be a purlin. For a reasonable guess at your problem would really need a few pics of what you are describing to help you on this one. If you are messing with purlins and supporting walls would be a good idea to run it past building control.

Sponsored Links
so long as the purlin can be adequately propped then potentially you could remove the wall, so long as the wall has no other structural significance.

using the existing ceiling joists is not an option though.

why the problem with steel?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back