Need help in choosing internal + external cctv cameras + DVR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys i have been stuck with this dilema of choosing internal and external cameras.

A friend of mine kept telling me about some dome cameras which to be honest look good but im wondering if they are good enough

My idea of CCTV cameras has always been big massive shuttle type things sticking out of the side of your building with a big red light/

However I have been looking on the net and there are hundreds of different types.

Nopw the problem is that my friend kept saying he will give me the lowest price and no one could match it. He quoted me something like £150 for a external 480 TVL dome camera.

I have checked on the net and I have seen them for half the price and they look identicle. On ebay however I have seen a guy selling some for £14 plus £10 delivery.

Now guys I am confused as to what is good and what is not.

Can someone give me recommendations on CCTV cameras and a good DVR to go with it.

The system needs to be very sharp and clear and needs to be able to record at night also. So something that can deliver highly but not cost a fortune

cheers

Sponsored Links
cctv cameras only see at night by the reflected IR light, so if a camera has only a few IR leds and another has more brighter IR leds...............

also get a ccd camera not cmos, ccd is better

apart from that its your choice as each will say this brand or that brand

cctv cameras only see at night by the reflected IR light, so if a camera has only a few IR leds and another has more brighter IR leds...............

also get a ccd camera not cmos, ccd is better

apart from that its your choice as each will say this brand or that brand
Brightness of the LED isn't relevant here. It's the wavelength.
No really practical to try and gve definitive advice without seeing the location and precise requirements.

well i had some guys at keybury come see me today and they were saying that IR light isnt all that spectacular without surrounding light of some sort. He said that upto 5 meter it is ok in pitch dark but is much batter when there is some light in the surroundings.

But I have the same problem, I dont know what specific type of cameras to look for. What have you guys had positive experience with?

thanks

Sponsored Links
not true.

if the IR light is powerfull enough you can see a very long way.

but it depends on what you really want and want to see.

a fixed lens camera will only let you see at the angle the lens id desinged for.
if you get a non fixed lens camera you can change the lens, but they do cost more. its your choice, but it depends on what you want to see.

well basically i have a building that is sort of triangular in shape. the shortes face of the building i.e. the acute edge of the building is where the entrance is and which faces the main road. So on this face any half decent IR camera would be good enough as the purpose of it is to monitor the entrance i.e. who comes in and out or close to the front

The one I would need real powerful is the one on the side of the building. This side of the building is like a dead end road with nothing other than my premises and a real junkies hangout at night. There is a lamppost but after countless attempts in getting the council to sort it out the whole place is always pitch black at night so the camera needs to be powerful enough to see who is going back.

I was thinking of just getting both of the cameras very powerful to be on the safe side, likewise any ideas?

fraid not.

i will say try xyz some one else will say they are junk

edited to add.

i did install and additional IR light so my garden camera could see better

well i had some guys at keybury come see me today and they were saying that IR light isnt all that spectacular without surrounding light of some sort. He said that upto 5 meter it is ok in pitch dark but is much batter when there is some light in the surroundings.

But I have the same problem, I dont know what specific type of cameras to look for. What have you guys had positive experience with?

thanks
You've just found out why not to deal with Keybury. Who ever you saw is talking nonsense. Don't give him a second chance.

Aah im going to have to give them benefit of doubt here as i couldnt recall exactly how he said what he said until I had seen Breezers last post. He said that they are not spectacular in pitch dark and you may need additional IR Light to get a better picture.

Besides, Im not going to go with any company for my CCTV, I dont know where on earth they get their prices from

I normally use Keybury for our Alarm systems at our pharmacies and they are good,

I generally asked them about CCTV and they sent me a silly quote

Aah im going to have to give them benefit of doubt here as i couldnt recall exactly how he said what he said until I had seen Breezers last post. He said that they are not spectacular in pitch dark and you may need additional IR Light to get a better picture.

Besides, Im not going to go with any company for my CCTV, I dont know where on earth they get their prices from

I normally use Keybury for our Alarm systems at our pharmacies and they are good,

I generally asked them about CCTV and they sent me a silly quote
Are the cameras required at a pharmacy?
As you have now seen, cameras, decent ones at least, are not cheap. Likewise Recorders. Pay cheap, you are likely to get equivalent results. With regard to the DVR. What you see on the monitor is not necessarily the same quality image you see on playback.
If you have poor image quality then you have just wasted your money.
It does appear, based on your comments, that you are not prepared to pay for the correct equipment.

i wouldnt put it quite the same way, but it is true you do get what you pay for

well to be honest I am prepared to pay for the correct equipment but where i see something for say £150 I see the exact same product elsewhere for like £75

At our pharmacies we do have cameras but these were fit in accordance to the people in charge of the medical centres i.e. they have had companies at each medical centre responsible for the cameras. Strange because they allow us to use our own company for the alarm system but not the cctv

weird

I imported mine from america lorex do a system that links to your computer
and have as many variations of camera as you could possibly want.
Remember you get what you pay for if its to cheap the image will be crap
I did a search on there products from companys that sent them to england
but one of the parts I had sent from lorex themselves

http://lorexstore.lorextechnology.com/article.aspx?aid=83

well to be honest I am prepared to pay for the correct equipment but where i see something for say £150 I see the exact same product elsewhere for like £75

At our pharmacies we do have cameras but these were fit in accordance to the people in charge of the medical centres i.e. they have had companies at each medical centre responsible for the cameras. Strange because they allow us to use our own company for the alarm system but not the cctv

weird
The kit the trade usually use is not generally available to the public - i say usually as some suppliers may sell to public.
We as a company have 3 price/product bands. All good but there is a difference in the ranges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back