Need help with a couple of garden jobs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two things I need to fix in my garden, and I would like some advice:

(1) I have areas in my garden like in the photo where last summer I put grass seed down over what used to be a flower bed. I thought I got most of the bulbs but evidently not! What's the easiest way to get rid of the flowers so that it can be just lawn?

(2) This wonky shed. The ground under it isn't level, which is what's making it lean. What is the best and easiest way to fix it? I'm guessing I'll need to lift the shed and take up the slabs, but I'm not sure what to put underneath to level it. Gravel? Sand? Will I need a whacker plate or any other equipment for a small job like this?

Attachments

• IMG_6939.jpeg
    IMG_6939.jpeg
    923 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6940.jpeg
    IMG_6940.jpeg
    554.4 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
Have you got a lot of weight leaning against one side of the shed?
If so, you need to distribute the tools evenly against each wall to balance it. One of my sheds, when I moved here 7 years ago, was in a similar state. After getting shut of the crap that was all against one side, I put my stuff in and leaned them against the opposite wall for a few months. Once it had straightened up, I spread them out evenly.
As StephenStephen says, if you are unwilling to dig up again, just keep mowing them down as soon as they start to show. This will continue to weaken them and eventually they will die back.

A lawn, says he. Leave 'em to grow, cut 'em back when they're done after a couple o' weeks and worry about summat else.
The shed could do with an air gap underneath but the lean gives it a bit o' character.

Sponsored Links
The tools in the shed are on the right side (the side with the lean) so maybe that's a factor, although the ground also isn't level because I checked. The other side is all shelving so not ideal for storing garden tools, but I will move some of the stuff over. I think I'll still need to level the ground though right?

There is a small air gap under the shed. It's currently sitting on lengths of 2x1in timber. Is that too small? I can replace if need be when I move it to level the ground.

Go for 2 x 2 at the minimum, preferably 3 x 3 for the bearers. Nail some close mesh chicken wire around the outside to prevent debris, such as leaves and grass cuttings being blown under, and discourage vermin nesting underneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back