need help with broken lock on double glazed door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my front door lock is broken, recently the key has been getting harder and harder to turn, I just put it down to the locking bolts that slide up and down on the side needing oiled, anyway oiling didnt work so must be the lock. Yesterday I couldnt get in and the key was so hard to turn but as it turned the key snapped off. I got the key out with long nose pliars but now have to use the back door entrance as the front door wont turn so cant lock or unlock. Can I just change the barrel bit or what? I read on another thread here that most standard barrels have a screw holding it in place and you undo that to slide the barrel out, well all I have is a brass plate going all down the side with screws holding the brass plate in place all the way up, would the screw be behind this plate? Any ideas in case you think its something other than the barrel?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
as its the front door I cant open the door as theres no handle. From the inside I can open it with the handle but I am unable to lock it at night :( and once i go out it closes behind me so have to go in throught the back entrance.

If I put the key in it just wont turn like its jammed and ive already broken one key so dont want to break my other one.

thanks

Is your door a uPVC sort with keylock both inside and out?
If it is then open the door and look on the edge just below the main latch and you should se a screwhead this screw holds the lock barrel in place undo this screw and the lock should slide out, if it doesn't then, and this may be problematic for you in your situation, insert the key and wiggle it back and forth whilst trying to slide out the lock.
If you can get it out then stick the key back in and if it turns freely its notthe barrel at faualt but something else within the mechanism.
If its not this type of lock then a couple of pictures form inside and out and the edge of the door would help.

Sponsored Links
assuming the key has broken at the point it exsits the barrel and you dont have another why not take it to your local shoe repair emporium and get another key cut it may not have the shoulders on it to stop the key going to far in but it will have the relivent bits to align the tumblers
you need to rotate it about quarter turn till the bar dissapears inside the eurolock to release the lock from the door[if it is a eurolock]
spray wd40 into both sides of the keyslot and onto the key and try and work in gently pushing the key in and out both sides and giving it time to work

big-all said:
assuming the key has broken

never assume anything, technium said

If I put the key in it just wont turn like its jammed and ive already broken one key so dont want to break my other one.

so that means he has two keys, one broken , one not broken

Hi thanks so far.

breezer is right, I had two keys, one broke in the lock but I managed to get the broken piece out and I have another. The 2nd key is also stiff, Ive tried working WD40 into the lock from both sides etc but seems to do nothing.

Ive looked at the side of the door and all thats there is a long brass plate from top to bottom with lots of screws holding in into the side of the door. The side of the door also has lots of bolts which slide up and down when the key turns so theres holes in the brass plate for these but I cant see a small screw which would be holding the lock in place.

How can I add pictures to this and I will put some pics on here for you.

Thanks for your help so far.

remove the big brass plate and behind it should be you release screw

big-all - ive removed all the screws for the brass plate but right where the lock and catch is there is 3 rivits so the brass plate wont come off so cant see behind it.

heres some pics

Pics removed as managed to take out barrel please see below

Just hope they work

ok one of the screws was actually the one holding it in place so now managed to get the barrel out :)

tried the key in the barrel and it turns easily so whats next to try?

I put the barrel back and from the normal position the key turns half a turn counter clockwise and then stops (the locking mechanism is already unlocked) and will not turn clockwise in the other position (i guess to lock it)

thanks for looking

Oh well ! I need to see it because there're so many difference type of locks. I see if I can find some drawing to help you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back