Need help with imperial metal conduit

what about hardened steel? after working the conduit it would harden from mild steel.

Sponsored Links
Mild steel doesn't work harden like copper or aluminium, although I agree it's mechanical characteristics do change a bit (usually for the worse, it seems to me). There should still be no problem soldering it though providing you use the right materials.

Pedersen bicycle frames were built using nothing but soft solder to join the steel tubes

Materials like carbon steels can still be soldered nicely, but the temperatures required may draw the temper. One solution to that is to stick the end you don't want to heat into a potato as a heat sink.

I have successfully soft soldered HSS drill bits into holders when I needed an overlength drill for spotting through an inaccessible hole, for example.

what about cutting it back and using some normal earth bonding clamps, like the ones you would use on copper (or steel) water pipes?

Surely that would be simple enough to do..
-Dan

Enclosed a few images of the conduit. As you can see there is not a lot of space and I need to move or remove it so that area can be used as a cupboard. I hope the pics clarify what I have been describing
imcon7.jpg

imcon6.jpg

imcon5.jpg

imcon4.jpg

imcon3.jpg

imcon2.jpg

imcon1.jpg

[/url]

Sponsored Links
if you aren't using the conduit as earth and it is earthed from the other ends then I don't see any reason why you can't just cut it off near floor level, cover the ends with something to stop them damaging the cores and use some kind of plastic adaptable box to cover up the place where the cable briefly comes out of one conduit and enters the other.

Mild steel does harden after being worked, conduit does harden after it has been worked on.

That sound plausible, cutting the conduit and fitting a plastic adaptable box. Is this Ok or am I missing something?

Gentleman and possibly ladies, do you have any further ideas regarding this conduit problem as I am still not certain as to what to do. I thought conduit could not be broken even if a seperate earth is run and both ends of conduit is earthed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back