Need help with my lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

We moved to our house 6 years ago. The garden was completely overgrown, I cleared it and put rolls of turf down. It was great for a year, but every year it gets a little worse.

I reseed it each year, which helps but it's still not thick.

It's a NE facing garden so I guess that doesn't help. It has a lot of shade too. I have tried using Shady lawn seed from B&Q, it has very fine blades and does come up but doesn't last long.

I've included a picture so you can see the state of it and imagine the shade.

DSC00753.jpg

We live in Greenwich, London, so near the Thames. I think this makes the soil a heavy clay type? But I'm not sure.

It's also very uneven. My plan was to put a mixture of Family Lawn and Shady Lawn seed down then put compost and a tiny bit of sand over the top and rake it around to get it more level and to bury the seed a bit.

Can anyone give me any tips or tell me what's wrong with the garden?

I'd love to get it all thick and healthy again, and more level would be a plus.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
looks compacted to me. probably from walking to and from the bench. Areate using a graden fork and putting in a few stepping stones will help the remaining grass

The secret for a good lawn is in the preparation - cultivating, fertilizing, etc. I would buy a good book and would follow the instructions. Hessayon is one of the authors that pops in mind. My ex redid the lawn a couple of years ago, it looks great.

aerate then overseed

as the previous poster said put in some stepping stones or slabs towards the bench

compaction is a big no no

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

I thought it might be compacted.

I did put in some stepping stones a few years back, but we don't actually use it that much (mostly just stay on the decking near the house)

I will check out that book.

Thanks again :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back